Chapter 43

Tawny may have never seen Coming to America, but a single line from another movie from that time period permeated through her mind by the end of the day: "Oh, God, I'm telling you. My dogs are barking today." (Dictated, not read, by the illustrious John Candy in the 1987 film Planes, Trains, and Automobiles).

As a Dylantante, Tawny was no longer permitted to have class with the rest of her non-indentured peers. Rather, she was to be taught separately in brief, condensed spurts of lectures taught by a Westinghouse an Ivoree Gates-sanctioned instructor (both had to come together to agree upon a lesson plan that would provide the girls a bare minimum of what they should learn on top of their duties to Dylan).

Tawny was fine with this for most of her classes. The constant running around meant a physical education class was redundant, and thus it was stricken from the Dylantante lesson plan. And the less interaction she had with Maddie, the better.

But...a deep regret nestled in her soul over the loss of English Literature. One of the things she was most excited about in her new semester was that she would get to see Professor McCrdy in his element once again. How she missed watching him in his dapper sweater vest combos, reciting poetry and beautiful passages from literary classics in his silky Scottish brogue that made her go crazy every time he opened his mouth...

But no more. In lieu of McCurdy's class, the on-campus Dylantantes had their truncated lesson taught during lunch by some scrawny, disinterested adjunct professor from the local university. One lesson was all it took to realize he was there only for the fat paycheque to line his coffers.

But Tawny had no time to mourn. After lunch, she was back on duty, back to waiting, back to serving, back to the abject humiliation. And she had to do it over again, ad nauseum, until she got what she wanted.

Until she knew her mother would receive proper care while battling her rare condition.

It was such a relief to Tawny to hear the final bell ring in the afternoon, she nearly cried.

Audrey patted her on the back. "So? How was your first day on Dylan Duty?"

"I want to crawl. I don't want to use my feet anymore today..." said Tawny, who had acquired a slight limp over the course of the day.

"Yeah...yeah," said Audrey, sighing. "Well, I know I'm going to sound like a broken record by the end of this but--"

"I know, I know," interjected Tawny. "You get used to it."

Audrey pointed at Tawny and winked. "Bingo. You catch on fast."

And now it was time for Tawny to return to Westinghouse Manor, where there was still the matter of the nighttime duties. She had at least another six hours of work coming her way. Dreading the ride back in the cramped commuter van, she placed her hands on the crash bar of the push door of the southwest exit when--

"Miss Matthews!"

Tawny thought she was delirious from all the work, but then she heard her name called again and felt a hand on her shoulder.

She turned around and gasped.

"Professor McCurdy?"

"I didn't see you today in class, and had worried you'd left over break," said McCurdy. "Now I see that's not the case..."

His eyes scanned the maid attire and immediately Tawny felt embarrassed.

"I'd like a word with you, if you don't mind," McCurdy said.

"I-I gotta go back to the Westinghouse Manor," Tawny said, pointing to the door.

"I'll drive you back myself," insisted McCurdy. "Please."

Tawny looked at Audrey and shrugged.

"Don't worry," Audrey said.  "I'll let them know."

"Thanks," Tawny said. 

As Audrey exited the school, Tawny and McCurdy walked down the hall to his classroom. Once inside, Tawny sat in the desk closest to Professor Mccurdy, who opted to lean against his desk, facing her.

"I'm glad to see you're still here," were the first words out of McCurdy's mouth once they were settled. "Is everything alright?"

Tawny opened her mouth to speak...but then shut it. What could she possibly say to him? The last thing she wanted to do is burden him with her troubles.

But still, Professor McCurdy persisted. "What's wrong? Are you in trouble? Are you or someone you love hurt?"

Tawny could keep it in no longer. The stress of the day came to a head, and Tawny started bawling. 

"My mom's sick," Tawny confessed.

"I see," Mccurdy said, surprised by her crying. "So that's why you're...oh Miss Matthews, I'm so sorry."

He stood up and went beside Tawny's desk, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Let me help you. Is it a financial concern? My wife Rebecca--"

"No!" Tawny stood up abruptly, startling both herself and her professor. The outburst was a result of the heady, immoral thought she was getting while in close proximity to McCurdy, but also the realization that he was offering the one thing should could never, ever accept from him.

"I'm sorry, Professor McCurdy," said Tawny. "But I don't take handouts. My mother didn't raise me like that."

Professor McCurdy pursed his lips, then nodded. "Understood. In that case, I apologize. I didn't mean to impose. I just want to help you."

"I know, and I'm so, so grateful that you care so much," Tawny said, fighting back a fresh onset of tears. "But when it comes to fighting for my mom, this is something that I gotta do on my own. I couldn't live with myself if I accepted someone else's charity."

"Then live with me," said Professor McCurdy.

Uh-buh-WHAT now?

Tawny looked at McCurdy, uncertain that she heard him correctly. "What did you say?"

"I've heard about how the Dylantantes -- sorry, I'm really loathe to use that term -- I heard how those girls are treated, what their living arrangement is like. It's not conducive to learning. Let Rebecca and I take you in. And before you say it's "charity", please consider that it's more of an investment to the health of your academic career."

Tawny was dumbstruck. Never in a million years would she have ever expected this turn of events. At her lowest point, she was suddenly presented with an opportunity that not even her wildest dreams could have concocted.

"I-I don't know what to say..." Tawny said finally.

"You say 'Yes'," McCurdy said.

Something about the tone of his voice suggested that he wasn't going to take no for an answer.

Still, it wasn't like he had to twist her arm at the offer.

"Yes," said Tawny. "I would love to say with you and your wife."

Then Tawny hugged him. Perhaps it was the cleaning fumes, the tens of thousands of steps worth of walking, the loss of everything she knew and held dear in just a matter of weeks, but Tawny was prepared to have something good lobbed her way. She was so relieved that in that moment she just didn't care anymore and let her guard down.

"Thank you so much," she said, pulling away and wiping her nose with her hand. "Sorry, I hope I didn't mess up your sweater vest."

"Not at all," said Professor McCurdy, grinning. "Let's get you to your new home."