Chapter 46

Tawny was in better spirits now that the air was cleared between herself and Audrey. She even began to relax again in the presence of Rebecca and the Professor when she returned to their home every night for a place to rest her head. Although, she wisely had the insight to purchase some earplugs so there'd be no more midnight mishaps as before.

One morning, as the Dylantantes lined up for their morning tasks, Madam Fraus stopped directly in front of Tawny, an amused smile creeping on her face.

"You must be making a good impression..." said Fraus. "You've been requested specifically to help with an event arranged by Master Dylan."

"Really?" this piqued Tawny's interest. Now that she thought about it, she hadn't seen Dylan in quite some time. Obviously, she was busy with the whole indentured servitude thing, but still, she found it quite strange that Dylan rarely made an appearance while she worked in his home.

Tawny wanted to be excited the see Dylan again...but there was something in the way Fraus smiled when she delivered the news about being "requested". It didn't sit right with her.

And for good reason: that afternoon, Tawny carried a tray of tea and biscuits to yet another massive parlour room situated in Westinghouse Manor.

The doors were closed; as she used her body to push through, she was alarmed to find Elaine, Violet, and Prudence on the other side, sitting on the fancy, plush furniture.

Elaine grinned wickedly. "There she is: our own little personal servant girl to wait on us as we enjoy high tea."

Oh SHIT.

Silently,  Tawny brought the tray over and set it down on the round, low table. She was about to turn and walk away when Elaine cleared her throat.

"We're not done with you yet. I need a footstool."

Confused, Tawny looked at Elaine, who pointed downward to the floor.

"On your knees, girl," demanded Elaine.

"Yes, we wouldn't want to document your insubordination directly to Madam Fraus," added Violet. "I hear she can be particularly tough on transgressions."

Face burning, Tawny got on her hands and knees before Elaine, who casually swung her shoed feet onto Tawny's back.

Elaine sighed contently. "That's more like it."

"Didn't you have equestrian class this morning?" asked Violet. "I hope you were able to wipe your shoes afterwards. Those stalls have been known to be quite messy."

"Oh come now, Violet - who has time for such quaint trivialities? Besides...that's what the HELP is for."

Elaine uncrossed and recrossed her legs over Tawny's back, Tawny all-too-aware now of the damp, muddy feeling of Elaine's shoes pressing into her. She imagined there was going to be a pair of unsightly footprints when she inspected her maid uniform later on.

"It's so lovely of Dylan to let us have our high tea session in his parlour," said Prudence, taking a measured sip of her tea.

"It would be even nicer if he'd bother to make an appearance and greet us," muttered Elaine, taking a more angry sip from her own teacup.

"I imagine it must be difficult for him," mused Violet, stirring cream and sugar into her tea with a tiny spoon. "This time of year, after all."

"What does that have to do with anything?" said Elaine.

"Didn't you know Elaine?" said Prudence. "The 15th is the anniversary of the death of Dylan's mother. He's always a bit more reserved around that date."