Life

Valentine's muscles were taut as he crept through the dark labyrinth of caverns stretching through the mountain that housed Aurelia. He gripped his trident tightly as he counted the corridors. 

He was alone in the darkness. Calloway was leading most of their forces against the palace in an attempt to corner them while their numbers were divided. He, however, had a much more important task to undertake while the entire kingdom's attention was elsewhere. 

Since Wesley had gone to the surface, Valentine had been altogether successful in gathering support, but he was no fool. The rebellion army was made of little more than old sirens and children. Those of fighting age had already been drafted into the King's army, and until they were shown that the tides were turning, they would be too afraid to break ranks and fight against him. Even with even numbers, the rebellion was still at a disadvantage. 

And that's what he needed to change. 

Valentine had to rely on the adventures he'd had in his youth to guide him through the seemingly endless corridors. When he was a child, he had once accidentally discovered a room where the Council met in private. He had been terrified by what he had witnessed, but as a grown man, he swallowed down that fear and sought the room out again. 

Hearing voices up ahead, Valentine quickly ducked into a separate chute, closing his eyes to conceal their glow. 

He recognized the voice of his younger brother, Merrick, one of the twins, conversing with one of the councilmembers. Since Marius's death all those years ago, Merrick had taken on the position of crown prince. He was set to inherit the throne, but by what Valentine had heard, that would be just as tragic. 

The King had shaped Merrick and his twin sister Merin in his image, raising them to be cruel and tempered. Of course, none of his children had mattered as much to the King as Marius had, but Merrick had proved himself a just substitute in the years since his death. 

Though they had always been cruel to him in their childhood, Valentine felt pity for the twins. They'd been subjected to their father's toxic love, and Valentine shuddered to think how he'd have turned out if he'd known anything but hate from the man. 

He pitied Merin's unborn child too, because he doubted motherhood would be enough to change her ways. 

When the voices passed without uncovering his hiding spot, Valentine decided to follow them. He continued the way he'd been going and turned down the path where the voices faintly echoed. 

They were obviously in a hurry, no doubt because of the onslaught of violence at their front door, so he had to travel quickly to keep up with them. As he suspected, they were in fact heading closer to the room. He rounded the corner just in time to see their tails disappear inside it.

He crept forward cautiously, desperate not to be seen. 

He could hear more men inside discussing strategy.

"We need to bring it back before they get farther into the palace," Merrick said.

"It won't take long for it to finish," one of the others said. "Let the humans get what they asked for."

"You fool," the prince practically growled. "It can only aid us when they are outside, unless you plan on bringing down the whole bloody mountain. Let the wielders on the front finish off the ships."

"Very well," the other said. "Any other inputs?"

When none of the others responded, chanting began. Valentine carefully peeked around the corner to see at least six or seven councilmen gathered in a circle with their arms outstretched. Their eyes were closed as they muttered verses in an ancient language.

Between them was a large gelatinous orb, one he still remembered from all those years ago. Inside was the twitching embryo of a gargantuan cephalopod. It started convulsing as the men chanted and Valentine had to force himself not to look away at the creature in obvious pain. 

It was how they controlled the Kraken. 

She had been created by the Gods centuries before man itself. She was one of the oldest creatures to roam the planet, and when the Gods had seen fit to bless her with a child, man had stolen that from her. They tortured it, knowing she could feel it and would bend to their will to protect her young. 

There was a reason Valentine hadn't fought when she had come to execute him on that island. Because of what he saw as a child, Valentine knew that the Kraken was just as much a victim to his kingdom as he was. 

Lifting his hand, Valentine used his finger to make a faint stirring motion in the water. Gently the water around the egg started to spiral, lifting it up a fraction from its stone pedestal. He pulled the current slowly towards him, hoping none of the men would open their eyes.

After rolling off the pedestal, the egg drifted gently to the ground. 

He had nearly gotten the embryo to him when he found a trident pointed at his face. 

A malicious smirk stretched across Merrick's features. "Hello, brother."

----+------+----

A/N

Oh. Hey. Fancy seeing you there. 

How've you been? Any fun plans? Any new hobbies?

What's one question you'd like to ask the rest of the readers? Feel free to answer as many as you'd like!

Have a good Tueday,
-Mora Montgomery