Dilemma

On the floor lay Liz, with torn clothes and dried blood covering most of her legs and hands. Her hair was a total mess, resembling that of a bedlamite. Her breathing was short, rapid and intense. Her current appearance was horrible and it worried me so much.

"Liz what the hell happened out there? You look like you just survived a bomb attack ... are you okay?" i catechized.

Liz just kept on staring down at the floor without uttering a single word. I decided to inspect her injuries to determine how serious they were. But when i was about to touch her bruised hand, it is when Liz finally tilted her head and faced me. Immediately sadness struck me like a bolt of lightening the moment i saw the look on her face.

She looked really scared and frightened. Not the same charming and glowing Liz i knew. Tears started gathering around my eyes.

What had really happened out there? A fight, an accident or what? Many questions zigzagged across my mind but i couldn't find any viable answer.

Then she managed a slight smile which at least assured me that the former Liz i knew was still there.

"Don't worry so much David. Am not that badly injured but just slight bruises. I was only so tired and out of breath"

"Liz, you call these slight bruises really?" i asked gesturing at the glistening bruises near her right elbow "hell, i even think you need a doctor asap"

Her smile broadened as she waved off a braid of hair that had camped in front of her left eye

"David, stop worrying about me please, for what am about to tell you is the worst. But first, i will need to clean" she said, attempting to stand up. I quickly offered her some help and at last, she was standing on her two feet. And that is when i noticed her two bare feet.

"Girl, tell me you did not sell your shoes please" i teased, pointing at her bare feet.

In response, she smiled again and then pinched my right arm twice.

"And you'll never believe how fat the profit i made just like that" she joked back " but you're not getting even a single penny from me. Please, show me the way for I'll need to wash them first"

She must have been in great shock and needed some time to recollect herself. Whatever had happened to her out there indeed was terrible and minacious.

I showed her to the bathroom so she can at least wash blood that was clinging onto her body and clothes.

Heck!

She needed clothes to change into and no ladies wear could be found in my house.

Wait...

Did i see her with a bag when she stomped in the house earlier? I silently prayed so. I searched for it in vain and that meant that perhaps she went with it to the bathroom. Luckily she had that covered.

After Liz freshened and cleaned up, she came back to the rest room and to my anticipation, she now looked at ease and composed.

I asked "Well... wanna update me on what the heck happened out there?"

"Horrendous it is out there Dave, and from what i have just observed....we are finished! – totally!" she said nervously.

"I guess you are mistaken because here we are the two of us as far as i can see" i said after a short silence.

"It will not take long till this place gets overrun with chaos too. And believe me things are about to get nasty and we are never safe here"

"Why did you leave your apartment? What happened there?"