Rent

Wang's rent was due last month, and his fiancée promised the king's guard they would pay today. However, she is still at work, and Wang is anxious. If she doesn't get the money here in time, they could be in serious trouble.

Wang was restless and paced anxiously in his room. He cannot help but feel dread. The footsteps in the distance made his heart race. He ran out of the cabin, only to realize he was mistaken. Instead of his fiancée, the king's guard approaches.

Panic grips him as he realizes the gravity of the situation. He tries to calm himself, knowing that his fiancée is most likely on her way with the payment. Time runs out, and every second counts.

"Wang, I hope our money is available," one of the king's guards asks, his voice filled with impatience as Wang desperately searches for an explanation. He hopes his fiancée will return soon with the payment to avoid dire consequences.

"Please sir, my wife will pay you as soon as she gets back from work," he pleaded with the guard, his voice trembling with desperation.

The leader hissed; his voice was filled with impatience. "We gave you a month. Wasn't that enough? We gave you ample time to pay, but you failed to deliver?"

The leader's words struck deep, making him hesitate for a moment. He could feel his words pressing him down. Wang was determined to resolve the issue. "It is more than enough, sir," he pleaded. His voice trembled slightly. "I promise you we will pay today. Please give us another chance."

The leader's face remained impassive. "Take the cow and the goat," he instructed. His voice remained stern and unyielding.

Wang's heart broke at the thought of losing his cow and goat. The cow was his primary source of income, and without it, they would starve. With tears in his eyes, he pleaded, "Please, I beg you." Don't take the cow. That's the only source of income I have for now. Erosion washed away our crops, and we are struggling to make ends meet."

Wang dropped to his knees and bowed his head in humility. "Please, I will do anything to pay the debt. You will get your money today."

The leader's expression softened slightly, but he did not relent. "I will consider your plea," he said, his tone firm. "But for now, the cow and the goat belong to us." You collect them whenever you bring money. He added.

Wang, what's happening? Wang's grandmother asks, as she walks out of the cabin.

They are here to collect rent, Wang replied.

I have some money, his grandmother says, as she loses a knot in her scarf. She handed the caretaker the money.

As he counted it, he sucked his teeth. Not enough. "Take the cow," he says, eyeing the animal grazing in the field nearby. Wang's grandmother's face fell.

"Please don't take the cow," she pleads with a bow. "I will bring the money when Xie returns with it."

"I understand," the caretaker sighed. "But you had an entire month to do that, and now we're left with no choice. We need the money, and if you can't pay in full, we'll have to take the cow."

Get the cow, he hisses as he walks away. One guard nods and heads toward the field to fetch the cow.

When he came out with the cow, Wang's grandmother walked towards him. My son, please, we will pay the money today. Leave the cow for us. She begged.

"Get out of my way, you wretched old woman!" he shouted as he pushed her aside and callously walked away with the cow.

Wang was about to strike the guard. However, his grandma swiftly grabbed his legs and whispered, "You know what happens when you hit a guard, my dear? Let's find another way to resolve this."