NINE

chapter nine.
dinner for two (part I)
november 10th

_____________

THEIR HOUSE WAS CUTE. Mrs. Kim's house is a small sage green cottage home built somewhat on the rural side of Huntsville. Many of the surrounding homes had a similar structure and style to their family suite except her home felt like we were entering a fairy kingdom. She had several types of ceramic flower statues  around her house, a willow tree that was frostbitten and covered in the sticky snow, and what seemed to be the remains of a large garden on the side of her house. As we arrived, we couldn't help but marvel at the beauty of the Kim-Syzmánski home, wondering what it looked like during the peak of spring or in the heat of summer.

"I'm so excited to see Ashley, it's been so long," My mom said gleefully.

Since we moved down here almost a decade ago, my mom, though she knew many people from her time at university, didn't have friends. All she did every day was go to work, see my dad in rehab, come home, and go to sleep or teach more students. She never had time to be a normal person and have a steady friendship that provided her peace or fun. Hopefully, reconnecting with Peter's family will provide her with some support.

As soon as we pulled up in the driveway, Ms. Ashley was walking out of a small storage building with a wicker basket full of bagged vegetables. Her silky, dark hair swayed in the wind, and her plump cheeks were red. She had on a grey knitted dress that reached her ankles and fluffy socks that peeked out on the top of her Uggs.

She waved us over when we stepped out of the vehicle. My mom had a slight bounce in her step as she made her way over to her old friend. They embraced each other, even with the wicker basket still in hand.

"Where are we again?"

"Bruh, we've been over this," I lazily said to the AirPod-wearing boy standing next to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love my brother; he is my best friend, but boy is he dense and annoying.

I slapped his arm, encouraging him to go up and introduce himself to Ms. Ashley while also explaining who she was and why we were here as we walked in their direction. Almost immediately, she brought that tall boy into a hug and mindlessly laughed. She commented on how big he's gotten and inquired about what he's up to; she even teared up some.

She patted his back while also inviting us into the house. Now that I think about it, the last time she saw Eli, he was only just a tiny baby then, so I'm sure this must have been a huge moment for her considering how close our families had gotten.

When we neared the entrance of the home, a savory aroma graced our noses. There was a small sign next to the door asking us to take our shoes off before entering. Per her request, we took our shoes off on the small porch and carefully walked our way inside her home. It was hot inside, instantly urging me to get comfortable.

I took off my black jacket, handing it to Ms. Ashley as she offered to hang them up for us. I straightened my multicolored knitted sweater and pulled up my jeans to get more comfortable. Thankful that I wore my fuzzy socks, the hardwood floors still felt somewhat chilly as we walked further into the house.

Many intricate designs and pictures covered the walls. Some of them were family portraits, while others were paintings or uniquely shaped statues. Big fluffy white couches reflected the rays of sunshine into the house, adding natural lighting and highlighting the plants that were also around.

"Wow Ashley! Your home is just beautiful," my mother marveled. "So much light, I bet you never have a dull day in here."

"Only when my husband's bald head isn't in the way," she joked back.