CHAPTER 4: The Waiting

James POV

This had been a strange day. I found out I had a little girl and she was sleeping upstairs. I was in my office trying to digest all the information. Isabella delivered the social services file on Aurora and the letter. I reread it hoping to find any clue or reason for her actions. My love joined me and sat on my lap. She was reading the letter for the first time, which meant she would be mad. I knew that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Dear Sydney Dallas,

This letter will reach you at a very hard period, but I suppose it can also give you a purpose during this trying time. I am leaving my daughter in your care. She passed out during our trip here. She will need medical attention so that her wounds heal faster. I had to get her and leave. My family found out she was conceived out of wedlock and they tried to take her life because of my actions. Whatever happens to me, I don't regret her even for a second. She is a miracle. Protect her Sydney, and give her a home, it's your job after all. I included her birth certificate in the envelope. Her father is an honorable man. I am sure he would take her in. Find James Theodore King. He will love her as he was always meant to. I will get my family (or at least try) off her trail. I also know you will show this letter to James.

I apologize for not telling you about her existence, but she was happy with our family. She never knew pain, sorrow, sickness, or any other bad thing. I could never tell her because she was better off thinking her father was one of us. She was safe...until they found out. I love them dearly and if I don't die for my sins I will do everything to convince them where she came from doesn't matter. You can't protect her forever James, of that I am certain. Make sure she knows how to protect herself though, both physically and mentally. Your wife could help with both. I will have someone I trust approach her years from now to teach her about my family's legacy...her legacy. Until then keep her hidden, safe, and make sure she learns. She must learn from all of you. She has to be prepared. If you do decide to show my daughter this letter at one point, I will write the next words for her.

Nothing is as it seems down there my child. The lines in the sand aren't clear. Stay true to who you are and don't look for me. If I can, I will find you in time. Home is where the heart is Aurora, open yours to them. I promise they aren't corrupted even if they sometimes do bad things. You will see that for yourself in time. I love you!

Ariel

Isabella huffed and got up to pace in front of my desk. "Better off? Who does that woman think she is? Aurora wasn't better off thinking her father was a dead soldier. She needed you! The only reason she kept it to herself was because she knew she would get exposed for who she really was. A hypocrite! She was living in her imaginary bubble when she should have run fast the moment she found out she was pregnant. If she knew it was so dangerous for them to know, she should have protected her daughter, not stayed hoping the truth would be under the rug where she buried it for the rest of time."

I didn't say anything. I agreed 100% that she should have thought about our child first. Instead, I asked "Is Aurora still sleeping?" Isa stopped pacing and looked at my worried expression. "Amore, she is fine I just left her room. I changed her bandages, too." That's right! The social worker mentioned the tattoos. I looked at my wife and once again she knew me without uttering a single word, so she continued. "They are healing nicely, but I also saw some scaring below the tattoos. I didn't have time to properly check, but it looked like the tattoos were covering up scars that matched the exact shape and form of the tattoo itself." We will need to take her to a proper check-up with a doctor we trust.

I was lost in my thoughts when Isa took my hand and said "Let's get dinner started, it will get your mind off of it. The boys will be back any moment and we can't just blurt it out. Do you think they will be happy? I know we never talked about more kids around them after..." She hesitated, but I was quick to answer her. "I am absolutely sure that they will be ecstatic. You know Wes hates being the youngest." Of course that made my beautiful wife laugh and forget about her dark thoughts.