FIFTEEN

chapter fifteen
the gifted
december 10th

_________

I HAVENT BEEN IN A RELATIONSHIP in quite a while.

The last woman I was with, I had issues opening up to her. I loved her, but it took me too long to be vulnerable with her, and it ended up tanking our relationship.

There were many things I couldn't tell her, many secrets I had to keep to myself, including the gifts that were bestowed upon me as a child. Only my parents know the true nature of my being, and for a while, I was not allowed to speak to anyone about it, or I would be punished for it.

But now, I can.

Ivone is the only person that can know aside from my family, the only person that I was promised to all those years ago.

When I was 11, I died. I was so sick and decrepit that the doctors at that time had no idea what to do. My heart had gotten weak from my liver disease, and my organs were failing. My parents hadn't realized how serious it had gotten because of the misinformation my primary doctor told them at that time.

The only thing that kept my body alive was the ventilator I was put on, but my brain was dead.

After I had gone brain dead, however, I spoke to someone that was not of this world. He told me his name was Gabriel, and he was sent to offer me a chance at life but at the expense of my memories and a host of responsibilities.

Only when I met my fated love would my memories come pouring back. And on the day I met Ivone, my memories started to come back.

I'd wake up in night sweats from vivid dreams that were actually memories, and while taking care of some of my duties, I'd have a flashback. It wasn't until after my mother confirmed the truth of who Ivone was did everything start to really come back.

I still have some memories that are hiding; however, spending time with Ivone and her family has really helped.

I had talked to Gabriel, one of my guardian angels, and he stated that as the gifted, we take on a lot of worldly challenges that the angels cannot directly interfere in, and if we choose to be the protectors of the world and of time, it requires some kind of test.

Everyone's test is different, and mine was my memory. I was young at the time and didn't really understand what that meant. Gabriel did say that I was given more leniency for a reason he hadn't known, but thankfully, things were changing.

Ivone's soft lips were finally on mine.

Her body pressed against me, and her heart, like mine, was pounding out of her chest. I could feel my cheeks warm from her touch as she grabbed my face in her small hands and rubbed my cheeks with the pads of her thumbs. She pressed into me and deepened our kiss, her tongue dancing with mine as I took her waist and squeezed her as close as I could.

This was all I wanted. To touch her perfect lips and feel her soft body.

The night of hell night was completely unexpected. I was not expecting to see her so suddenly; I wasn't expecting to talk with her and flirt with her the way I only dreamt of. I never thought of letting her gyrate her body against mine and convince me to dance with her until dawn.

I never knew she would be in my bed, drinking hot cocoa from one of my favorite mugs while watching a show.

Though I knew I was destined to be with someone that would help me in my journey as a protector, I still had not expected it to happen. And now that she's here and back in my life, I don't want to let her go.