SEVENTEEN

chapter seventeen
winter is coming.
december 23rd

_______

I COULDN'T FALL BACK TO SLEEP. It was quite early in the morning as the sun still hadn't risen and the birds weren't awake and singing.  Ivone and I stayed up as long as we could before she fell asleep. I had closed my eyes shortly after her, enveloping myself in her warmth, but like a light switch, my eyes flung open and refused to stay shut.

Something was bothering me.

I don't know what, but something was coming and I could feel my spirits twisting and turning as the sun slowly rose. My heart started racing and my hands were sweating. My hair started sticking to my face and my lips felt chapped and cracked. My left leg felt eager to bounce and my mind was stuck on my heavy breathing. I've only ever gotten this feeling once, the feeling of something in the world being off balance. But this feeling was far worse than that.

I was 19 years old when this same feeling clawed its way into my throat, and before I could respond I had woken up from being in a month-long coma and I couldn't move my legs.

Was something like that going to happen again?

Before I could calm down, Gabriel appeared.

His towering height and glowing tan skin flashed across my eyes as he walked over to me briskly. His wings pinned to his sides and lowered like a puppy's ears. His perfectly crafted face remained stoic as normal but something in the urgency of his movements communicated otherwise.

"Peter," he spoke softly with a hint of panic.

"It's urgent, you are summoned to the courts,"

Astounded by the news, I looked down at my sleeping lover. Her arms were tightly secured around me, her long breaths fanning my side and her nose softly touching my ribcage. I wouldn't dare move, her relaxed face and quiet mumbling were the only vices that helped me through my weird, anxious night.

I didn't want to leave her again and certainly didn't want to move in case she woke up.

"Do I have to physically be there?" I plead out, slightly gripping Ivone to my body. My eyes yearned for the answer I wanted but my stomach sank from the answer I would get.

Gabriel peered down at Ivone, a glint sparking in his eyes and his wings begging to stick up like a curious puppy's ears. Beings like Gabriel were special in that their bodies were physical manifestations of all things good. Their joy, happiness, curiosity, and bravery are that of a small child discovering the world. Despite him being around since the beginning of earthly time, he still hasn't changed. None of the celestial beings have. I could tell he was curious about Ivone, yet also like a shift in weather, a storm was brewing inside of him.

"You know the answer to that," He whispers, careful not to move too quickly. I suppose he also saw the sleeping woman and decided that being hasty would expose him.

"We must hurry Peter,-"

Suddenly Ivone started speaking. Well mumbling incoherently. Her voice vibrated my side and her arms squeezed a bit tighter. I could see a bit of drool escaping the side of her mouth and landing on my dark shirt. If I wasn't preoccupied, I would've been chuckling at her cuteness, however not only did it startled me but it caused Gabriel to jump.