Not yet a glimmer of hope

"Why is everyone comporting this way?" catechized Liz, fastening her safety belt.

"Not just everyone, but also everything including the day itself. So weird and confusing" I replied, staring the car again "am still befuddled concerning the moon and bush men. Should we even believe or trust every word the old man said?"

Liz did not respond right away since she was engrossed on her phone. Doggone! I had even forgotten if they existed.

I got curious.

"Hey, searching for anything?" I enquired, not averting my sight from the road ahead.

"Searching latest news articles to see whether I might stumble on anything in relation to what the old man said. Though I personally do trust him, my guts are against us advancing deeper into the city." Liz elucidated, still immersed onto her phone "am a hundred percent some something menacing is bulging somewhere. I can feel it."

I shivered at her words.

I was about to respond when at a distance, I noticed a white looking vehicle very far ahead, though I couldn't exactly tell which model due to the distance. I glanced at Liz and luckily, she was still occupied with her phone. The stern look on her face assured me that whatever she was reading was not pleasant at all. Afraid to interrupt her, I resolved that it was better not informing her.

I reduced acceleration to a moderate speed while observing the glittering vehicle keenly.

A minute and half elapsed but the said vehicle was still far ahead. That when I realized that probably, it wasn't moving at all since it appeared that ours was the only one advancing to the other.

But why stand still at the middle of the way?

Definitely, something was not adding up.

'BE CAREFUL' my instincts whispered, cause jitters over my entire body.

I swallowed hard at the whisper.

"Can you believe that strict measures aimed at containing the dire situation within the city are underway? And t..." Liz commented, interrupting my line of thinking. But I interjected abruptly, bugged by the statement.

"By who? The Government? What stringent measures are they anyway?" I asked while maintaining a keen watch on the road ahead..

Instantly, her face turned into disgust.

"Who else but our own Government! How soon considering they haven't even explained what really the infection is or its symptoms. Do even the safe zones exist or it was just a bluff?" Liz ranted in panic mode "All I deduce from the article is that a siege around the city is being erected. The article also says that no one is allowed to enter or leave the city including the journalists too. In short, everyone is barred from setting a foot into the damn city of which I assume it is our current intent."

I blinked simultaneously in total disbelief.

"It also states that" Liz continued "it is also against the law for anyone to publish or circulate any content captured within the city on social media platforms! Can you believe that?"

Now, that was not pleasant at all to hear.

A fearful feeling stirred deep within me.

Why was Government banning media or journalists from accessing the city and also restrict content sharing from those still caved inside the city? Was the Government trying to cover up something?

I tightened my grip on the steering wheel.

"I don't really like that at all! Plus the Moon and bush men stuff too." I uttered with great anxiety as we edged closer to the unknown minivan. It was now apparent that it was heading away from the city but on the wrong way. Its windshield was completely shattered with numerous cobweb-like spots on it. It was also hard to tell whether there was anybody inside.