Chapter One

Birds were chirping. The sun was already rising as Angelica walked into her college. The campus was bustling with a crowd today. Everyone seemed to be discussing something, their eyes wide with emotion. A mix of grief and panic swept through the whole place.

Angelica wore black jeans and a matching hoodie, her hair tied in a ponytail. She had an oval face, naturally balanced and effortlessly pretty. Unlike other girls in college, she didn't wear makeup, just moisturizer and fruity lip balm.

Angelica moved through the crowd like she was invisible, aware that everyone was discussing the latest murder in town. Her mind was flooded with thoughts of the murder and her relentless nightmares, which she knew were connected but refused to acknowledge.

That morning, her mom had asked about her nightmares again. Angelica brushed it off, claiming she was fine, lying to keep her mom from worrying. Her dad, away on a business trip, called every morning to check on her nightmares, but she lied to him too. Despite trying everything from home remedies to weekly therapy, the nightmares have still not stopped.

Lost in thought, she found herself in her classroom, where the murder was still the main topic of conversation.

"Why can't the police catch the killer? They've been at it for three months!" a guy yelled, slamming his hands on the table.

"The police are useless!" another guy said angrily, sitting beside him. A girl, looking panicked, said, "I'm starting to feel scared living in this town!" She wore short jeans and a red crop top, with overly red lipstick and sparkling golden eyeshadow. Her perfect jawline attracted a lot of attention.

"Don't worry, Ellie. I'll protect you from the killer," the second guy said, smirking.

Angelica thought to herself, "Yeah, right. If he saw the killer, he'd run away without a second thought about Ellie," and chuckled.

Just then, Daniel, their psychology teacher, walked in and coughed, signalling everyone to sit down. The classroom fell silent as students shuffled to their seats, the previous chatter replaced by the rustle of papers and the squeak of chairs.

Angelica, sitting near the middle of the room, opened her psychology book and turned to chapter six. The chapter title, "Cognitive Development," immediately caught her eye. She began skimming the first paragraph, hoping to get a head start before Daniel began his lecture.

However, Angelica didn't notice that someone was watching her closely. From the back of the room, a guy observed her intently. His gaze was fixed on her, studying the way she seemed engrossed in her book.

As Daniel began the lecture, he still didn't pay attention to his lecture and kept secretly observing her. Angelica, oblivious to his observation, continued reading, unaware of the silent observer sitting a few rows behind her.

✷✷✷

Adam sat in the taxi, his luggage beside him, as they drove through his childhood neighbourhood. He gazed out the window, taking in the blend of old memories and new developments. The familiar streets were now filled with unfamiliar faces and modern buildings. He longed for the simpler days when he and his friends played football until dusk, the only traffic being the ice cream truck making its rounds.

An old lady's face suddenly appeared in his mind, a neighbour from his childhood. She had always been kind to him, often preparing meals he could still taste in his memory. He wondered if she was still alive, recalling she had been sixty-five when he was eleven. She lived with her daughter, and sometimes, a small girl, around six years old, who visited the old lady quite often and  Adam had enjoyed talking and playing with her too.

His thoughts were interrupted as the taxi stopped in front of the Sun Valley building. Adam paid the driver, thanked him, and stepped out with his single suitcase.

Dressed in a grey shirt and black pants, Adam cut an impressive figure. He was tall and handsome, with dark hair that seemed to fall effortlessly into place. His bright blue eyes sparkled with a hint of mischief.

The building was small but cozy. As Adam stepped inside, the watchman greeted him warmly, approaching with a warm smile.

"Sir, are you the one moving into apartment 12?" the watchman asked.

"Yes, is there a problem?" Adam replied.

"No, not at all. I just need to inform you about some important rules set by the building secretary," the watchman explained.

"Oh, okay. Go ahead," Adam said.

"Please don't smoke in the building and don't leave your garbage outside your apartment. Our secretary is quite strict about these rules," the watchman continued.

"Got it. Thanks for the heads-up. Can I go to my apartment now? I'm exhausted from travelling," Adam said, eager to rest in his apartment.

"Yes, of course, sir. Have a nice day!" the watchman said.

"Thanks, you too!" Adam replied. As he walked away, the watchman called after him.

"Sir, you forgot to take the key to the apartment from me."

Adam quickly turned back. "Oh, right. Please, give me the key," he said, slightly embarrassed.

The watchman handed over the key with a smile. "Here you go. Enjoy your stay."

"Thanks," Adam said, taking the key and heading towards his new home, his mind still lingering on memories of the past and the faces he hoped to see again.

Then he hastily handed the key to Adam and headed straight to his apartment. As he arrived, he unlocked the door and stepped inside.

He flicked on the lights, revealing a modest space. He didn’t mind the small size; all he needed was a bed to sleep in, and it was there. The apartment consisted of two tiny rooms. The first room had a couch facing a small TV, with a modest table nearby.

The second room contained a small bed with a side table and an attached bathroom. Stepping into the bedroom, he strolls towards the window. Outside, the city bustling with people hurrying along the sidewalks, and vehicles were passing by.

As Adam gazed out the window, his attention was drawn to a man in a red cap and black mask walking down the road. The man kept glancing over his shoulder, his behaviour raising red flags. Adam’s unease grew with each nervous look the man took, making him wonder what he was up to and whether he was a criminal.

To Be Continued...

As I promised, I have described the appearance of the characters. I will soon post a page for the image of the characters. So stay tuned for that.

So, what are your opinions on the secret observer of Angelica and the man in the red cap with the mask? Do let me know.

And if you liked this chapter then don't forget to leave a vote and share your opinions with me in the comment section. I loved to read your comments.