Lgbt Shows

*Note*

Either based completely on LGBT or has LGBT characters

1. Modern Family

Told from the perspective of an unseen documentary filmmaker, the series offers an honest, often-hilarious perspective of family life. Parents Phil and Claire yearn for an honest, open relationship with their three kids. But a daughter who is trying to grow up too fast, another who is too smart for her own good, and a rambunctious young son make it challenging. Claire's dad, Jay, and his Latina wife, Gloria, are raising two sons together, but people sometimes believe Jay to be Gloria's father. Jay's gay son, Mitchell, and his partner, Cameron, have adopted a little Asian girl, completing one big -- straight, gay, multicultural, traditional -- happy family.

2. Will & Grace

Will and Grace have been best friends since college. Living in the same apartment complex, they're constantly in each other's business. Stirring the pot of melodrama is Grace's "employee," Karen, and Jack, Will's flamboyant friend.

3. Glee (Available on Netflix) recommended!

Optimistic teacher Will Schuester heads up McKinley High School's glee club -- New Directions -- a place where ambitious and talented students can find strength, acceptance and their voice. As the students find themselves, they also enjoy a respite from the harsh realities of life. Mr. Schuester hopes to help the kids in every way he can and also dreams of taking the group to nationals. As Schuester and the glee club pursue their goal, they face opposition from a conniving cheerleading coach, Sue Sylvester, who tries to sabotage the group at every turn.

4. Sense 8 (Available on Netflix)

Eight strangers around the globe find themselves connected - first by a violent vision, then by their shared ability to connect with one another's thoughts and actions, and finally by the urgent need to find out what happened and why. Their need to know goes beyond simple curiosity - as they pursue answers, a mysterious organization hunts them down, intent on destroying them. 

5. The L word 9( STRONGLY RECOMMENDED)  (available on Netflix)

This long-running Showtime series features intertwined stories about the lives and loves of a group of lesbians and bisexuals in Los Angeles. The characters date, get into committed relationships, consider having families, hook up, break up, question their sexuality, stay in the closet, come out or sleep around - sometimes all of the above.

6. Shameless (Strongly recommend👏🏾!) available on Netflix

Frank Gallagher, a single father of six who spends much of his free time drinking at bars. The Gallagher children; led by oldest daughter Fiona who takes on much of the child-rearing responsibility due to her mother's absence - manage to raise themselves in spite of Frank's lack of parenting and unusual parenting style when he does choose to act like a father. 

7. Queer as Folk (Strongly Recommended👏🏾) Available on Netflix

Set in working-class Pittsburgh, the drama revolves around a group of gay friends and their relationships, careers, loves, and ambitions.