Prologue

"George." Karen's voice was a soft whisper as she tugged on his arm, bringing him closer to her. He turned, smiling gently. His wife. This woman who he'd hadn't been sure of at first... 

"Yes, dear?" He asked, putting his hand over hers on his arm. She was a sweet woman, a calming presence in his life. At the moment, however; her brows were knitted tightly together in concern.

"I was just over by the lady's room and bumped right into Lena. She didn't look so well." Karen said. "I was going to warn one of your sisters but... they've all managed to disappear."

George stared at Karen for a moment before looking around the large garden of the Canopy Hotel. She was right. They were all missing. Where had they gone? 

"What do you mean she didn't look well?" George asked, as his eyes still scanned the garden, watching closely. 

"I think she may have had a few more drinks than legal." Karen said, "I asked her if she as okay but she just brushed me off. I wouldn't like her to get into trouble. I don't think Alice or Michael would want to find her like that."

"You're right." George said, frowning. "Okay. Are you fine if I go check on her?"

"Yes, of course. That's why I told you." Karen said, a smile gently coming over her face. "You always know what to do."

"I'm sorry. It's our day. I should be here with you..." he began but she shook her head.

"Oh please, it's fine. Just let me know if you need help and I'll keep our guests distracted while you're gone." She said, pecking him lightly on the lips as he began to stand.

George sighed as he walked off. Karen really was an amazing woman and he was so lucky to have met her. It was fated, he thought, even if he'd questioned every move he made more than once. That was just like George, to analyze everything carefully, to question it over and over silently until he was sure that he was making a good decision. 

There had been moments where something ticked in his head, an alarm he couldn't turn off and not because he thought he wasn't the man for Karen but because there was the question of something else... he couldn't explain it. 

Now, as he trudged along the garden and into the double doors on the side of the Canopy hotel, he wondered how he ever got along without her. George who was so meticulous and well planned, who thought two steps ahead had found in Karen someone who was willing to be even two steps ahead of that. He really was lucky. 

He looked down the halls, wondering in which direction the ladies room might be before recalling he'd seen the men's just a few feet down. There was no one around, not really. Just a group of people in the distance who carried their drinks carefully as they made their way back into the garden. He took a step back, hiding behind the curtains, hoping none would see him or come speak to him. After all, the last thing he wanted was for Lena to be caught in a bad moment. 

He frowned. Lena. He couldn't explain the sudden change in her over the last few months. Granted, it had been a couple of years since she'd begun to distance herself from him, moments where he'd noticed she didn't laugh as much with him, or that she would even avoid him. He wondered at first if he'd offended her, but eventually, he'd realized that she was growing and like most adolescents, a big brother wasn't someone she needed or wanted around as much. 

Lena was special among the girls- Like Echo, she was quiet, kept much to herself, like Romy, she thought things through carefully, examining each option before jumping in, she had the kindness and patience of Vera, and the same ease that Maru had when meeting new people. But there was more, there was a closed door. Still waters ran deep. He frowned, thinking that unlike the other girls who were truly like his sisters, Lena was a mystery that he couldn't quite explain. Maybe it had been years since he'd really known what to think.