Chapter 1

I pitifully chirped as I felt the warm, comforting presence pressed over me leave. The blurry mass of gold cooed softly and gently nuzzled my head, and a sense of safety washed into my mind. I attempted to mimic the sound, but it came out more of a whine.

Suddenly, the sweet smell of food reached my nose, and I creeled with my mouth open wide. The small silver shape next to me mimicked my actions and competed with me to make the most noise. A fuzzy purple blob approached, then placed bite-sized morsels of food into my mouth.

Soon, the fullness arrived, and I yawned sleepily. After one last bite of goodness, I curled up into a ball and slept.

Something called me strong enough to wake me from dreams of never-ending food. I slowly blinked as I looked around the dark expanse and gave a questioning squeak. Nothing replied despite the building of the feeling. The small silver blob next to me stirred and lifted his head as well. The call began to strengthen as the dark nest brightened and was not hunger, but something else.

I stood and spread my wings as shiny orange flickers danced through the green roof. Without thought, I followed the feelings as I squeaked and flapped my tiny wings.

The other in the nest squawked as my wing hit him and hissed pathetically. In response, I jumped onto the taller edge that surrounded the bed.

For a few more moments, I flapped as hard as possible, then felt tiredness wash over me. I fought against the pain in my wings and focused on the cries of joy I felt.

Eventually, my wings drooped as I tiredly collapsed. With a cry of terror, I plummeted. My fear blocked the feeling of the call. Somehow, I found the energy to flap as I tumbled and screamed.

I released a whimper as I suddenly hit something and rolled onto a fuzzy green expanse. Once I stopped, I pitifully wailed for the red and purple blurs, then whimpered in panic as something hissed violently at me. With a trembling squeak, I flattened myself as a dark shape loomed over me and hissed once more.

I panicked as a furious shriek accompanied by a bright orange plume of heat consumed the shape. The familiar red blur slammed into the hissing thing and attacked it for several moments, then approached my-still frozen form.

She sent a comforting feeling to me as she picked me up by the back of my neck. My muscles moved on their own and I curled myself as small I could manage. I heard a whoosh, then air swirled around me for several moments.

Eventually, the red blur set me down softly, then began to nuzzle my entire body as I limply remained where I was.

The purple smear deposited the silver thing next to me before he left again.

With a feeling of safety and a calming croon, the red blob pulled us closer to her warm side, then covered up with her wing.

Soon, the purple smear brought food, and I early creeled in hunger, completely forgetting anything had changed.

(A Kymari's POV:)

I leaned against the tree as I watched the fire lizards continued to sing and swirl in their intricate morning dance. Each individual spin and flew startling close to each other, and I had only ever seen a few collisions through the years, mostly involving the youngest members of the flock. Thankfully, none of the minor glancing blows had injured any of the animals.

I briefly managed to keep my focus on a green fire lizard in a harness before I lost it in the mass of nearly three hundred. The fire lizard's handler was somewhere among the fellow spectators that surrounded the clearing.

The bonded fire lizards performed a highly important task to society: they protected the planet from monstrous beasts called sicora. No scanner could detect the animals, but thankfully, fire lizards could smell and lead people to the creature.

The city had grown over the last thirty years thanks to the colorful winged animals. Every ship destined to the planet stopped in the port and a fire lizard inspected it before the ship continued to another port. Some merchant vessels even stopped here to be checked before moving onto other planets.

I watched the graceful beings as they continued to sing. After a moment, my eyes briefly began to drift closed as the melodious song continued.

I jumped and nearly fell off the tree as a panicked screech broke the song. As I glanced around, the fire lizards preemptively dispersed into the trees in a flurry of nervous chitters and frantic wingbeats.

Another scream and burst of fire appeared at the edge of my vision. I brought my full attention to a wild red as a fire lizard dove onto something in the grass just beyond the edge of the clearing. After half a second, she picked up a small black hatchling and fled the scene. A purple fire lizard burst from the tree above the spot with a silver hatchling in his jaws, then disappeared as well.

Hm. I mused silently. After a few moments, I slowly approached the scorched ground as I took out the small knife attached to my weight. When I arrived, the dew extinguished the fire, but I saw a strange shape in the blackened area.

As I kneeled, another Kymari approached. "Svin, did you find something? I've never seen the fire lizards preemptively end the morning song."

After I glanced at the person behind me, I lifted the blackened limbless shape from the ground with the flat of my blade. "Looks like one of the young fire lizards fell out of the tree, and this snake happened to be nearby. I didn't get a good look, but if the wild ones grow at the same rate as the captive ones, then it was probably only a day or two old."

"That could explain why the nest was so close to their singing." My friend mused as I returned to my feet. "

"We might have to start removing snakes from the park if the elders deem it necessary." I studied the snake, but the fire lizard had destroyed the pattern on its body with its flames. The burnt scales also offered no clues to its identity. "I doubt this one was poisonous, so the young fire lizard should be fine." I allowed the blackened creature to slide off my knife and into my hand. "I'll take it to a vet to see if they can determine anything."

"You're probably right, but everyone will be watching the fledglings that come to the singing for the next several days. Did you see what color it was?" He briefly scanned the trees while I hesitated.

"Strangely, it was black..."

Author Notes!

This is a fanfiction of a story called Upon Wings of Change owned by CrystalScherer

I hope you enjoyed this so far! please tell me your thoughts in the comments and don't forget to vote!