Chapter 16

While we sprint towards the cars, we hear Axel and Wyatt calling our names. Neither of us bother to respond. We focus on zig-zagging around the trees and running as fast as we can.

It's difficult to tell if we're getting closer to them or not with my heartbeat pounding in my ears and sticks snapping beneath my shoes.

That doesn't matter though. I'll run until my legs fall off if I have to, no matter how far they get. I have no idea if Jonah has kept up with me or if I left him behind long ago, but I'm not going to slow or even check behind me.

Movement in the shadows and between the flickering sight of the trees catches my eye. I adjust my course slightly to head towards the running figure to my right.

As I get closer to them, I'm able to recognise the figure as Axel. He zips around the trees, his focus ahead of him. I take a quick glance around for Wyatt but I can't spot him. I assume him to be further ahead. Hopefully his athletic skills enable him to catch them both.

He's played multiple sports since grade three, and fell in love with anything that allows him to run. We've helped him train for marathons and races for years. I know fast he can run. I'm sure Nathan and Chris couldn't run faster than him.

As the clearing where our cars are parked comes into view, I'm able to see Wyatt, Chris, and—I assume—Nathan running in an uneven line. I'm happy to see Wyatt has caught up with them, but he's not quite on their heels yet.

Nathan and Chris separate as they reach the car. Chris chooses the driver's seat and Nathan takes the passenger side. My heart sinks as I realise there should be three of them. What did they do with Misty?

I hear the car roar to life from a distance and I'm thankful that Wyatt reaches them before they can move. He runs for Chris's door and pulls on the door handle, but finds it locked. Refusing to give up, he hits the window with his hand and yanks on the handle as the car starts to move.

His athletic ability has allowed him to reach the car before they leave, but it also means he's on his own while we catch up.

Through the windscreen, with the help of the disappearing sunlight and the arising moonlight, I can see Chris becoming frustrated as Wyatt proves that no matter what he won't quit. But what will he do if he gets the door open?

Wyatt blocks Chris's vision as he tries to turn, and causes the car to almost hit a tree. Fuming, Chris swings open the door fast, hitting Wyatt's head and knocking him backwards. He gets out of the parked car, delivering a punch to Wyatt's head. Then, he pulls him up and throws him into the backseat of his car.

All three of us scream at him but he ignores us and gets back into the front seat. He pulls back and turns, ready to drive away, and all we can do is watch.

Axel makes it to the car just in time to hit the back of it once before it speeds away. A scream of frustration explodes through the atmosphere as Axel continues after the car that spits dust up at him.

Before the car disappears over the hill, Axel turns to look back at us still running towards him. With no where to go now, Jonah and I begin to slow our run.

"Hurry up," Axel shouts, rushing back towards us. "Get in the car."

I understand Wyatt could be in trouble, but I can't help but think of Misty. Where is she? Is she okay? They left without her. She must still be here somewhere. I can't leave her.

Jonah passes me as I pull up to a stop. Axel throws open the driver's side door and glances back at us once more.

"You two go get him," I say. "Come back and pick me up once you do."

I see Jonah look back at me before I spin around and run back into the woodland. I hear the two of them calling out to me, but I ignore them and keep running.

Weaving through the forest, I call out to Misty, over and over and over.

She could be anywhere. How on earth will I find her?

I continue to scream her name. What more could I do? What if she can't hear me, or she can't respond? She could be unconscious. God, I hope not. I swear, if they've hurt her, I'll kill 'em.

I'm so focused on running faster and scanning for Misty that I almost miss it.

***