cincuenta y siete- all we have

Leyla's pov

Leyla's pov

Later that day i finally came back from the corner store i was chilling at.

They had a tv there so i just flipped through to see if the prophet shooting was on the news.

I was a bit worried that cops would flood our neighborhood to find me and arrest me.

In the days i've laid in bed taking it all in, i kind of accepted my consequences. If they catch me of course.

"Do you charge for refills?" I hold up my empty soda cup to the cashier.

"You havent left since 5. Knock yourself out." The guys laughed. We were keeping each other company.

"Breaking news! There has been a shootout in Freeridge 10 minutes ago. On Santos Street. We advice everybody stay inside and dont go out, for your safety. It is unsaid how many are injured. Paramedics should be on the scene."

I shot my head up at the tv and my jaw dropped once i saw a helicopter shot of my neighborhood.

Red and blue lights flashing along the road.

It was a bloody mess.

"It seemed as if there was a shootout going on between two well known gang rivals."

I left my soda on the counter and bolted out the door and ran several blocks until i found my way to the scene.

There were 2 ambulances.

"No!" I scream as i sprinted my way to the paramedics who were looking at a body on the floor.

"No. No. No. Please god no." i dropped to my knees by the body of my beloved friend Martín."

"Maam please step back." they instructed as they held the body bag ready for Martín.

"Fuck off." i slap someones arms as i held Martín in my lap.

"Please dont take him away from me." I begged.

I was such a wreck that I didnt even realize Oscar had to pull me back so they could take him.

"Its going to be okay." he whispered calmly to me.

I looked around the street to see one other person in a body bag.

"Oh my god! Who else died?" i started to flood with panic as i turned to Oscar.

He stayed silent for a second, unable to comprehend it, let alone say it out loud.

I looked around at the other santos to see who was missing.

They all had say looks on their eyes.

It didnt click until i heard the powerful cries of a woman.

I jerked my body across the street to see a mother on her knees crying as she prayed to God.

It was then that i realized she was a mother who lost her son because of the toy truck in her hand. She never once let it go.

This night changed the ways of the streets.

Martín was killed, but also a 6 year old boy playing outside when the prophets rolled up.

They were asking for a war.

a week later

The day of Martín's funeral it was a sad cloudy day.

"I'll see you again. Very very soon Martín." I sniffle as i place a plastic rose in his coffin. This one wont ever die. Just like my connection to him.

Martín was a different person. He was an angel sent from heaven.

An angel i am eternally grateful to have had in my life. But i guess nobody is meant to stay forever.

Martín's dad didnt show up, it was just us Santos.

Thats when it clicked for the rest if the group that the gang is sometimes all someone has.

From that day forward the guys agreed on my gang leading ways.

"This isnt going to end well for anyone." Spooky let out a sigh as i sat next to him.

Once the funeral was over we made our way out of the church.

That was when two cops confronted our group.

"Oscar Diaz?" One of the questioned.

"Yes?" Oscar adjusted his button up shirt.

"You're under arrest for the murder of Damien  Smith."

All of our jaws dropped as we watched Oscar get put in handcuffs.

"Wait no you cant do that." I argued.

"Leyla just drop it." Oscar finally looked at me. "It will be okay." he tried to sound reassuring.

There was nothing reassuring about this life.

—sweeteasaint