iv.

(Authors Note- I accidentally messed up the time line, so I'll just make it Spring time whenever Gilbert's father passes. Sorry for the inconvenience!) 

It had been almost three months since Eleanor was struck by Mr Phillips, he had yet to even steal a glance at her or Alvin. 

Eleanor had been spending more and more time with Gilbert and Prissy, they were both so kind in their different ways. She loved the way Prissy would braid her long curls or offer to do her makeup, Eleanor loved the way the "blush" color that would come across her cheeks as Prissy moved a soft bristled brush across her face. But Gilbert was a different kind of friendship, one that Eleanor cherished and always wanted to progress. 

(FLASHBACK)

"M-May I hold your hand?" Gilbert asked, blush creeping up his neck. 

"Yes you may." Eleanor giggled as she held her small hand out towards him. 

Gilbert beamed and grabbed her small hand, Eleanor's body instantly heating up as his warmth enveloped her. She was always cold and the feeling of Gilbert's warm hadn't in hers, made her feel like she would never be cold again. 

"This is nice." she breathed out, the two walking as the flowers slowly bloomed. 

Spring was just rounding the corner and Eleanor couldn't be more excited, springtime was her favorite part of the year. She loved to pick flowers and dry them out, or crush them in books to create bookmarks for her and her friends. But New York never had many flowers, so Laura often bought her a bouquet of beautifully arranged flowers to do what she pleases. But Avonlea was much different from the city, it was apparent to Eleanor when everywhere she looked she could see flowers starting to erupt from they're blooms. 

The two walked hand in hand until they reached the school house, they quickly let go whenever they noticed Mr Phillips walking around the building. A breath escaping their lips when he turned and walked into the school house instead of coming to yell at them. 

"Can I walk you home later?" Gilbert asked as he took Eleanor's hand and walked her into the schoolhouse. 

"I would like nothing more." 

(END OF FLASHBACK)

Eleanor was walking towards Gilberts house,  her pale yellow dress dragging behind her on the grass as she hummed softly to herself. The two had planned to finish their homework for the weekend and get it all over with in one go. So Gilbert said that they could meet at his house, and Eleanor wasn't about to argue, and so here we are. 

"Oh hello Anne." Eleanor smiled as she came across her red headed friend. 

"Eleanor! H-Have you heard the news?" Anne asked, her voice shaking slightly. 

"Heard what? Anne are you alright? You're shaking like a freight train!" Eleanor stated as she walked over to her. 

"Gilbert's father just died." 

The words struck Eleanor like a ton of bricks, she felt the air leave her lungs as she gasped. Anne tried to stop her but Eleanor was already running towards Gilbert's house, tears springing to her eyes. John Blythe was more of a father to her than her actual father was, he always made sure that she ate and was well dressed. It pained her to see his condition slowly getting the best of him, and this was the last time that it truly slipped him up. 

Her feet hit the ground with hard thumps as she climbed the hill towards Giblert's small farm home. Outside was the nurse that came to take care of John, she was sniffling and weeping into a handkerchief.