19: Christmas

"Merry Christmas, my beauty," Jaxon mumbles in my ear, his stubble scratching my soft cheek as I sit between his legs with his arms locked around me.

            "Merry Christmas, my love," I whisper back, leaning into him as I watch the roar of the fire in the cottage.

            We'd opened all of our presents to one another—just a few in number, but great in significance. The talisman I'd given him falls my glance as it sways around his neck and I touch my own. His is a raw, garnet crystal and mine is a raw, amethyst crystal—based off our birth months.

Jon had spelled them to cloak us in the coming days, but Jaxon didn't exactly know that. I knew he wouldn't want to hide, but would want to fight. Hayes will definitely kill him with the power he has now, so I knew the only way to get it around his neck without a fuss was through a Christmas present. I made him vow to never remove it—an oath he swore that I pray he keeps.

            One day I'll tell him why, but for now, I'll keep this secret to myself. I shiver, despite the fire, and untangle myself from Jaxon, "I'm going to go grab a sweater."

            "Don't be too long. I'll make hot chocolate," He presses a quick kiss to my cheek as he departs right for the kitchen and I turn left for the stairs.

            I close the door behind me once I'm in our room and I go to the closet, pulling out a chenille cardigan and wrapping it about myself. Preceded by a quick glance at the door, I reach to the very right side of the closet, hidden in the back to the pocket of a barely-worn coat of mine. My fingers touch a leather pouch and I breathe a sigh of relief—It's still there.

            When Jon had given me the talismans, he also gave me some sort of powder that will knock someone out when thrown in their face. I know he gave it to me in case any of Hayes' men came for me, but I also keep it on the off-chance that I have to make Jaxon cooperate. It's not something I want to do, but if it will keep him safe, then I'll do whatever it takes.

            Quickly, I close the doors to the closet and head back downstairs where Jaxon is heating some milk in a saucepan. He throws me a beautiful smile and I cross over to him, wrapping my arms around his waist and planting my cheek between his shoulder blades. His heart beats solidly in my ear and I sigh. I can't lose him.

            "You won't," He suddenly says, and I withdraw my head.

            "Are you listening in on my thoughts?" I teasingly ask, though I hope he hasn't been doing this all along or he'll know my plans.

            "You weren't exactly keeping them quiet," He laughs, then turns serious. "But you won't lose me, Isabelle. Whether it's to the Council or to Hayes. Everything will be fine. We'll get through it together."

            "I know," I mumble, hugging him again.

            So I told him the gist of what Jon had said about Hayes. I left out the part about the talismans. I had to tell him something to explain my absence in the woods, and in case the gemstones failed, the pack would have to have a back-up plan.

It's been twelve days since Jon's message. That means we only have six more days until the actual event. I'm unsure how I can draw him away from here during the celestial ritual, since he'll want to keep the pack safe and fight for me. Maybe the talisman will be enough.

            Maybe it won't.

            "Hey," He suddenly says, turning around to look at me. Cupping my cheeks in his hands, he observes me, "What's wrong?"