|01|

Barre

     The forest is silent and full of peace. The rain mumbles through the leaves, trailing moisture and calm wherever it falls.

     I stand on the front porch of my secluded den, staring out into the dense trees. The sun has just risen, a new day cycle starting once again.

      My life of serenity is often repetitive, but I wouldn't have it any other way. This is the life I'd always wanted for myself. Predictable. Steady. Stable.

     I sip on my cup of steaming cauldri, stirring the bag of dried leaves as the flavors mix. Taking a deep breath of the forest in, I let it out and set my cup down.

     Rytaria is going through many changes right now, and I am far away from the bustle of it. In a way I am thankful, but in a whole other way I am restless and curious in ways I never thought possible.

     Shaking it off, I begin to prep for my hunt.

     Walking to the back shed, I haul the wooden door open, staring at countless creature pelts, antlers, and weapons. I skim the tools with my eyes, quickly deciding which I will use. I look to the top row of weapons, reaching for my hunting bow. I grip it loosely, twirling the thing in my hand. I carved the bow myself, its thick curve perfect for its purpose.

     I always spend my time in the woods trailing game, shooting and trapping them for their skins and their meat. I provide for myself so I don't have to be in the palace market, interacting with other warriors who point and stare and whisper.

    On Rytaria, I am a legend. One of the last of my kind, the strongest warrior to walk the planet. I do not enjoy the notoriety. Being a Gladiator was my life for several turns, but that was before I quit. That was before the distraction of fights wore off and our society dedicated themselves to finding the one thing that could save us. Females.

     Our planet had a disaster long ago, when I was still a young kit. My own Mama dying in our home, my Pa going insane with loss.

      Some sort of sickness attacked our females, killing most of them within a few moon cycles. It ruined many lives as a result. As I grew, I learned of my power and how it could help my society.

     Gladiator fights became very popular. It was a way to forget the tragedy, a way to forget for a moment's time. It only lasted 10 turns before the desire for it faded away, the loss of females too much to bear.

      But now, many have forgotten the battles, and the ring of power and the gladiators alike. And so, I moved into the forest to build my own den far away from the palace and the city. My Papa lived with me for some time before he too succumbed to his death.

     And now, it is only me and Salsh, my only companion. The rasler was a stray in the food market, running around in search of scraps. I scooped him up and took him home with me. I can't say that it isn't nice to have some sort of company. Salsh has also become quite the hunter himself. I take him with me on all my outings.

      Throwing a sleeve of arrows over my back, I shut the shed and stomp back to the den. The small cabin on my own private land has provided me with comfort ever since I stopped my fights. It has always been able to put me at ease, until now.

      Because the Emporor's Warriors have found what they've been looking for all these turns. Females.

       The talk of them has spread far and wide. Every time I visit the market I am bombarded by the gossip of males desperate to have a mate of their own. Of course the idea is ridiculous. The first females will go to the elite in the palace, it is obvious. Those of us who do not live luxuriously will be the last to receive a female, if at all. I doubt I will ever get the opportunity, but I do not care.

     I am happy to be alone. I do not need anyone else but myself.

     I climb the wooden stairs to my porch, leaning down to untie my pet. He sniffs and licks at my side, wagging his tail in excitement. I pat the top of his head in encouragement.

     As soon as his leash is off, he sprints into the woods, running circles around the trees, brown fur flying.

     Shaking my head in amusement, I follow him. He blazes the trail with his nose to guide him. He leads me through the dense forest, jumping over puddles of rain and ducking under fallen trees.

     Taking a deep breath of the fresh air, I let it linger in my lungs, savoring my favorite pastime.

      I don't know why, but something tells me today will be different, and maybe in a good way. I find it an odd feeling. Maybe it means I will get a large Lilarc, or many Sylvarons.

     I suppose I will just have to find out, and I am very excited for it.