Chapter 4. Are you Happy?

The next few days Selena avoided Silas like the plague. She found ways to avoid him in the mornings when they would usually share breakfast together, stick to Jacobs side when in a room all together, and even make plans in the afternoon so that she can avoid seeing him in the home. Selena knew how wrong it was for her to kiss him and how crushed Jacob would feel.

Her own feelings, whatever they were, she needed to get rid of them. Jacob had a hard time making true friends growing up and whenever he brought one home Selena knew they were real good friends. Selena meeting Silas meant he was important to Jacob and she couldn't mess up that relationship.

Selena thought about having an adult conversation with Silas, letting him know this can't continue but she wasn't sure if that was a good idea. Selena was so confused on what to do.

Selena now sat outside on the porch swing watching the young children in the neighborhood playing with one another. For years Selena had longed for more children and deep love like she has seen in her parents. However, being a young single mother who has gone through so much it was difficult.

Dating was a nightmare. All the men she met want either one or all three things from her. They either wanted to have sex, didn't want to have children, or wanted something temporary, friends with benefits sort of arrangement. All Selena wanted was the love she read in the stories, the love she was exposed to from her loving parents who have been married for 38 years.

Deep, overwhelming, all-consuming love that filled you with only happiness. Selena wanted to find someone who loved her for all of who she was, genuinely enjoyed her presence as she would his, and someone who made her whole world better. It was hard to find someone like that and she felt she never would.

Hearing a creak of the porch floor her gaze shifted the Jacob entering on the porch. Walking up to her slowly he sat beside his mom on the swing watching the kids playing on the street. Jacob had wondered for a long time why his mother never had any more children; he could see how much she loved children and how much she adored him.

Jacob understood what happened to his mother was traumatic, but he also could sense her want for more. He loved his mother and would do just about anything for her, all he wanted was her happiness.

"Mom... are you happy?" Jacob asked leaning his head on Selena's shoulder as they rocked on the porch swing.

"Why are you asking me that Jacob?"

"Well while I'm at school you're the only one in the house," Jacob sighs out, "Abuela tells me you basically work all the time and Mom you shouldn't. You sacrificed a lot for me and haven't been able to live life fully."

Selena was silent as she pulled her knees up tucking it under her chin. What he had said was true, she threw herself into her job and her work to ignore everything. It kept her busy, helping others in need, and distracted her from what she was going through personally. She had to grow up very quickly and change her life for her son. As big of a sacrifice it was, Selena was okay and thankful for her son.

As cliché as it may sound and strange it may be, Jacob was the biggest blessing in her life even if she was a young mother. He taught her so much and although she couldn't live her young life, she was okay with that.

"It's okay Jacob, I am happy. I have you, our family, a great career, and my best friend in the entire world. I'm beyond blessed with everything I was able to receive and accomplish. What more could I want?" Selena says as Jacob lifts his head off her shoulder subtly pointing to the street before herself.

"Children, marriage? Didn't you say you wanted more kids?"

"I did, but sometimes things don't work out the way you want it to and it's okay."

"Well..." Jacob trailed off, "What about dating? I haven't seen you go out in forever and you can meet someone new!"

"Dating has not worked out for me, besides I'm happy..."

Selena was happy. Really, she was. But at times it felt like she wanted, no needed, more.

"Mom, all I want is for you to be happy. And you know what I'll help! I'll find you the perfect guy."

Selena was hesitant. She couldn't remember the last time she had gone out with another man, yet she remembers how they all end. Selena hurt by their harsh words and feeling her time wasted once more. Maybe this time would be different, maybe Jacob could find someone for her. Maybe she would finally find the love she was searching for.

**

Selena looked in the mirror putting her earrings as nervousness bubbled into her stomach. Jacob had managed to convince her to go out on a date tonight with a man he met at his internship. Jacob liked him so Selena would at least try tonight for him.

His name was Grant, he worked as the senior software engineer at the company and was 36 years old. He was never married, has no kids, and based on his picture shown to Selena, a very handsome man. Jacob had said he was a really nice guy, and he was a good judge of character so tonight was the night.

Selena hoped it would all go well.

Tonight's date was a surprise, all Grant told her was to dress formally yet comfortably. That being said Selena decided on a brown blouse with a lighter brown trouser and lace up brown heels to tie the look together. She left her natural curly hair out and simple earrings in her ear.

A low whistle sounded from behind her as she turned locking her gaze with Silas. Selena hadn't seen him all day and just when she was about to go, he appeared before her. This luck of hers had clearly run out.

"You look so beautiful...stunning."

A blush rose up Selena's cheeks as she looked away from him. Throughout the weeks the boys have been in the house Silas always managed to throw her a compliment whether it was about her appearance, work, or food. It was sweet and always had her smiling.

"Thank you, Silas."

Going over her bed, Selena sat down on the plush surface beginning to put on her lace up heels. Silas bounded into the room kneeling before her taking the heel from her palm. Selena was too in shock to realize he was placing the shoes on her feet, helping her out. Jacob had gone out with Jayde earlier in the day and hasn't come home yet so Selena knew it was just the two in the household.

That was dangerous.

As Silas finished lacing up the opposite heel, his eyes locked to her own as he lifted the leg giving her ankle a kiss. Goosebumps rose all around her body at the soft touch of his lips against her skin.

"Beautiful," He uttered out.

A loud beep of a car broke Selena out of her trance, Grant was outside. Putting her foot back down, she thanked Silas and stood up grabbing her handbag. Making her way down the staircase, Silas followed her down watching as Selena put her coat on.

"Going on a date huh?" Silas asked with arms crossed leaning against the wall.

Selena nodded quickly opening the front door as she heard the man utter a sarcastic 'have fun'. Selena would have fun; she would have a great time with this man and be over Silas. She had to.