W A R

*glass shatters*

        Shocked I turn to see a very shocked mother of mine and what remained of the plate, that she was holding, behind me. My attention quickly returns to my father and his words.

War? What does he mean there's war ? And why are Khona and Issa here?  It was only supposed to be the older kids who visit ... next week.

What feels like a decade of silence passes before I slowly ask.

"Baba...what do you mean war?"

"Your aunties and uncles asked of me to bring the kids to the States early. There is talk of war back home." He said softly.

"Oh no, please no." I hear come from behind as my mom slowly backed herself into a kitchen chair. She looked pale, on the verge of fainting.

"What's gonna happen to our parents? Why didn't they come with us?" Luka spoke up to say.

"I don't know..." My father responded with his head in his hands.

         The whole room fell silent again and for some reason I had a bad feeling that they weren't going home any time soon. A few hours pass and the girls were in my room unpacking sluggishly. I was about to start up a conversation with them when I heard my dad call for me. I make my way downstairs wondering what he needed. When I reached the bottom of the stairs I see both my parents sitting at the dinner table with troubled looks on their faces.

"What's wrong," I ask my father.

silence

"Dad, mom? You're scaring me guys. Seriously what's wrong ?"

"Habibti ... your father and I decided ..." My mother started before bursting into tears. Now I was really scared.

"You must go." My father said with an stern face. So much different from his usual joyful expressions.

"Wait, what? Baba I-"

"We changed your flight to California for tomorrow morning at 5:30. We leave early morning." He said clearly but plainly. He was always better at speaking English. There was no emotion in his voice. I didn't understand. I wasn't due to leave for five days. So why so sudden?

"But baba I'm not ready to leave you. Why must I go so soon?" I say with a shaky voice. It was the truth. I wasn't prepared to leave my parents so quickly. I looked to my mother who was still in tears. I walk over to her and get on my knees.

"Enat, why? What's happening?" I ask crying with her now.

"Nalah, we just don't want to complicate your life with the things going on back home. Your father is also must go back to Saudi Arabia." She says hysterical, tears running down her face. What? Why? "Don't worry habibi, just focus on school, everything will be fine." She claimed but her tears told a different story.

"Your apartment is ready for you to move into when you get there." My father then stood up from his chair and made his way to the bedroom with my mother following closely behind. I sat on the floor disoriented and completely zoned out. Apartment? I thought I was dorming? I thought I had more time with my family. Hot tears rolled down my face as I tried to stand. I made it over to the couch before everything went dark.

I wake up to a hushed conversation between my dad and someone on the phone in the next room. I check the time 3:00 A.M. We would be leaving for the airport soon.

"I cannot let you suffer alone. I will come soon and finish what I started with those Egyptians." My father whispered.

Finish what he started? What did that mean?

"I give you my word, the children are safe. We live in a small town, far enough from the city." He said.
"We all knew this day would come. Just stick to my plan and everything will go back to normal. I must go now. Just wait for my call."

What was he saying? A plan? He knew war would come? There was a reason we didn't live near the city? Why was everything he saying so vague?

I lift my head to see that my bags were already brought downstairs and by the door. My father came into the living room and I quickly close my eyes. He nudged me gently. I open my eyes and look up at him.

"Nalah, it's time to go." He stated as I sat up.

"Dad what's going on? Why are you leaving mom all alone with all the kids?" I say now furious.

"Nalah, I would explain everything if I could but we have to get going." He said grabbing my arm.

"Ok, let me go." I break away from his hold and make my way to my mothers room and head inside.

"Um... I'm leaving now." I said to her back as she sat on the bed facing the wall.

She turned around slowly and my heart broke as I seen her brown eyes had now become a puffy red. I walk over to her and embrace her.

"Oh my daughter. I'm so sorry."

"You have nothing to apologize for mommy. I was to leave for school already."

I pull back to wipe her tears.

"I'll be back for the holidays in no time Enat. Then we can spend all of daddy's money shopping." I said making her laugh.

"I should go before he comes and starts a scene." I say rolling my eyes dramatically, trying to lighten the mood. She nods her head and we leave the bedroom together. I move towards the front door where I grab my bags. With my hand on the doorknob I was ready to go. I hear my mother holding back a sob. I couldn't bring myself to look at her.

"Bye mom, I love you."

With that I opened the door and walked to the car where dad was waiting.