Chapter 45

I and Chloe walk hand in hand towards the guys on the rooftop, seeing them already drinking and laughing about something, sitting in a half-circle. 

"Oh, hey guys, " Felix is the first to spot us, furrowing his eyebrows at the sight of our hands clasped together.

"Finally, you guys are here, come!" Elise yells at us without sparing us another glance.

Chloe lets go of my hand as we sit down on the two pillows laying on the floor. Alice and Sydney are cuddling each other next to me with Elise next to them, then Felix with Eddie and Frankie comes closer to us, sitting next to Chloe. Jacob is the only one that sits opposite us.

I sit down and wrap my arm around Chloe's shoulders trying to bring her comfort whilst throwing a glance at Jacob who's already glaring at me since the moment, we step foot in here.

Sydney grabs two beers and hands them over to us.

"So, umm, what's going on with you two exactly?" Sydney asks us, making everyone's attention fall on us.

"What the-" Alice doesn't finish her sentence, she's just looking at us with her mouth agape only just now noticing our position.

Chloe shares an awkward glance with me, and I squeeze her shoulder for reassurance.

"We're dating, " Chloe says, placing her hand on my thigh.

"Oh, that's great guys, " Elise says, smiling at us while the rest exchange silent stares with Jacob.

I mean, I get it. Jacob is their friend, and they knew how much he liked Chloe. I wasn't expecting everyone to cheer us on and be super happy about this development.

"But you two went... never mind, " Alice says, pointing to Chloe and Jacob before biting her tongue.

Alice seems to know about the date Chloe and Jacob had and is clearly not happy that they're not together.

"Congrats guys, " Sydney says, patting me on the back whilst smiling at me.

"Well, unexpected, but still good development, can't say I'm completely shocked, " Felix says, giving us both a hug before sitting down again.

Jacob doesn't comment at all and just continues drinking his heartbeat away, judging by the multiple empty bottles of beer next to him.

"Don't you think you've drunk enough there buddy?" Felix says, looking concerned about him.

"Not enough, trust me mate, " Jacob says, without removing his eyes from us.

"Let me ask you guys something. Do you think we'll all still be friends in 5 years from now?" Elise randomly asks, changing the subject and I can't thank her enough for that.

I was starting to feel claustrophobic on an open rooftop.

"Yeah, the question should've been why wouldn't we be friends in 5 years, " Sydney says, looking at her with an eyebrow raised. 

"Well, it's because in 5 years from now we'll all have finished with our studies, got our masters even. We'll be looking for jobs, some of us might move to a different city, hell even a different country. Some might get married and have children. We won't be able to see each other as much, maybe not even at all face to face, " Elise lists her concerns and I personally don't have an answer to that.

I feel like what Elise is talking about doesn't apply to me. I don't think I'm friends with any of them apart from my mates, Chloe and Felix maybe.

"Babes, don't worry about the future, live in the present. Maybe some of us will fall off with each other or maybe we'll all stay friends. You can never know what the future has in store for us. The only thing we can do is hope. At the end of the day as long as we're all healthy and happy nothing else matters, " Felix says, shrugging.