11. cinderella

"GLORY, YOU BEST BE GETTIN' READY!" Soda calls as he walks through the door

"GLORY, YOU BEST BE GETTIN' READY!" Soda calls as he walks through the door. His DX uniform is covered in grease. "Oh.. wow," he says, eyes brightening when he looks around and sees how much I cleaned the place up.

"You did all this?"

I nod, grinning on the sofa where I'd been sitting for the last twenty minutes to allow myself to be satisfied with my work.

"Somebody had to clean up after you boys," I tease. "Besides, I had to do somethin' to get my mind offa.. well, everything."

I get up off the couch to start pacing again, but Soda wraps me in a hug before I get the chance.

"Oh man, wait till Darry sees. He's been tryna get Pony and I to clean up for ages. I've just been so tired from work lately, and Pony's always got his darn head in the clouds."

We both chuckle a bit at that last part.

Soda puts his hands on my shoulders and studies me from head to toe. "We've gotta get you ready for tonight," he says.

"Ready?"

"G, you're lovely, and I adore you. But you can't wear the same clothes you wear half the days of the week on your first ever date."

I roll my eyes at the D-word again, and look at my shoes. "I don't have much else.. And I don't wanna have to go to the house to sort through my things and–"

"–Don't worry," Soda says, patting my shoulder. "We'll find ya somethin' here."

I look at him, puzzled.

"We haven't had the heart to.. well, ya know, look through Mama's closet yet," Soda explains, sadly. "But I'm sure she had something that'd fit ya."

"Soda, you don't have to–"

"Shh." He places a finger on my lips. "Now you go get cleaned up," he says, spinning me in the direction of the bathroom. "You oughta know where the towels are by now."

Before I can object once more, he's slipped into Darry's room, where his parents' room used to be.

I sigh. "Fine.."

• • • • • • •

After taking a quick shower and shaving with an extra razor I'd found in the towel cabinet, I brushed out my hair using Pony's comb, and put my old clothes back on to go see what Soda was up to.

I went over to Darry's room to find him waiting for me with a selection of skirts and dresses.

"I think some of these oughta fit you," he says. He holds up the first dress, and my hand covers my mouth. "Soda, I couldn't," I say.

"She'd want ya to," he says, eyes serious.

I slowly smile, and take the pale yellow dress from his hands.