8: Divinity

It was a beautiful city with golden houses and butterflies. Everything shined and reflected the golden sun. You looked down to see the huge fish swimming lazily about. The people went about their business but stopped when they saw you. Hundreds of eyes watching you curiously and attentively. Some with open mouths.

You were taken off the boats, Miguel and Tulio mounted the horse once more and you were placed next to the woman.

"Well," said Tulio. "Was nice working with you."

"Tulio, I just want you to know," replied Miguel. "I'm sorry about that girl in Barcelona."

"So it was you," you said, scoffing. He finally confessed. Tulio was going to say something but then a voice said,

"Behold!" you looked up at a thin man with a bold, red, painted stripe across his face. "As the prophecies foretold, the time of judgement is now." You looked at Tulio nervously and he took your hand. Then a fat man appeared. "Citizens, did I not predict that the gods would come to us?"

The three of you looked around and then at each other. The thin man ran down and approached you. "My Lords and Lady," he laughed. "I am Tzekel-kan, your devoted high-priest, and speaker for the gods." He bowed.

"Hey," said Tulio sheepishly.

The fat man approached as well. "I am chief Tannabok, what names may we call you?" His voice was calm and kind.

"I am Miguel," said Miguel in a voice lower than usual. Tulio did the same. They dismounted the horse. "And this is Y/N." his foot got caught in Altivos' reigns. "And the call us Miguel, Tulio, and Y/N."

"Your arrival was greatly anticipated," said Tzekel-kan.

"My Lords and Lady," said Tannabok. "How long will you be staying in El Dorado?"

"Aha!" Before you could say anything, Tzekel-kan took hold of the woman's wrist. "I see you've captured this temple-robbing thief." He pulled her towards you. "How will you have us punish her?"

"Oh nononono," she said frantically. "My Lord, I am not a thief. See, uh, the, the gods sent me a vision to bring them tribute from the temple to guide them here." She looked at you pleadingly. "My only wish is to serve the gods."

Tzekel-kan looked at you. "Yes." You stepped forward. "I sent the vision, what she says is true, unhand her." The crowd murmured.

He let her go and said, "then you will begin by returning this," he gave her the stolen item. "To its rightful place." he shooed her away.

"My Lords, Lady," continued Tannabok. "Why now do you choose to visit us?" Tzekel-kan scoffed.

"Enough," he said. "You do not question the gods."

"That's right, do not question us," said Miguel. You slapped his arm, not needing to be rude. "Or we shall have to unleash our awful and terrible power." he puffed out his chest and Tulio crossed his arms. "And you don't want that."

"Wha- yes we do!" said Tzekel-kan. You sighed internally at the mess he made.

"You do?" asked Miguel. You and Tulio shared a look.

"Of course we do!" continued Tzekel-kan. "Visit your wrath upon this nonbeliever. Show us the truth of your divinity."

"Divinity," said Tulio.

"One moment," you said. The three of you huddled and whispered. "Thanks, Miguel."

"Sorry, sorry-" he said

"Miguel," interrupted Tulio. He said it softly yet mockingly. "You know that little voice people have that tells them to quit when they're ahead? Well you don't have one."

"Well, I'm sorry, I just got carried away," said Miguel.

"Way away," said Tulio.

"Doesn't matter," you intervened. "The point is: now what are we going to do?"

"Maybe we should tell them the truth and then beg for mercy," suggested Miguel.

"What? Are you nuts? We'd be butchered alive," countered Tulio.

"But there aren't any other options!" you said. Miguel kept rambling on and Tulio was getting frustrated by the second. There was an armadillo trying to get a butterfly which was infinitely distracting. The natives gasped and you looked up at a volcano that looked ready to erupt. Altivo whined. "Tulio.."

"I'm trying, I'm trying," he said.

Miguel started hitting his forehead. "Think, think, think." You pushed Miguel away.

"Stop!" Tulio's voice echoed and the volcano calmed down. Everyone gasped and kneeled before you. You smiled and walked down the row like the gods they thought you were. They started chanting.

One man stood up and Miguel said, "Don't make me start it up again. 'Cause I will." he quickly kneeled again. You smacked Miguel behind the head.

You reached the Chief and the high priest. The high priest said, "Oh My Lords, my Lady! Come, let me show you to your temple.

"Alright," said Miguel. "Temple." You smiled.

He started walking and stopped in front of the chief. "Step aside." He did so and followed you up.