24| Unusual

Chapter 24: Unusual (Callum's POV)

When I woke up, it was dark out. But not dark enough for dinner time. 

I frowned, looking at the empty spot on my bed. "She left?" 

"She didn't." I looked forward, seeing her come out of my bathroom. She chuckled, sitting back down. "You okay?" 

"You've really been here the whole time I slept?" I cleared my throat, reaching for the water bottle. 

"Yeah," she shrugged. 

I blinked in confusion, opening the lid. 

"No," she chuckled. "I went back after you fell asleep. I changed, got some homework done. Then I came back around twenty minutes ago. By the way, you have a fever again. So I've called the nurse." 

"What? No," I groaned, leaning my head back on my pillow. "Do you have any idea how scary the nurse is?" 

Then there was a knock at my door. 

"I think she's here." She stood up and then got the door, letting the nurse and... the principal too, great. 

"What happened to you, Callum?" the nurse asked while walking over. 

"Clara." She turned to the principal when she called. "Let's allow the nurse to check up on him in private, come, honey." 

She nodded in response and left the room with the principal. 

I sighed. 

"What did you do?" 

"Nothing, I went out in the rain last night." 

"Darklings don't get sick just by standing in the rain. You did something. With your powers, didn't you?" 

"No," I lied. 

She grabbed my wrist, checking my pulse. And then squeezed down. 

"Ow, ah, oh my god, ow!" I winced, yanking my wrist back. 

"Your pulse is slower than normal, your heart is weaker than normal. You know what happens when Darklings get sick like this, right? It weakens the heart. That's not good. What did you do?" she huffed. 

"I might have been overusing my powers lately," I admitted. 

"How? Why? And when?" 

"I controlled electricity a lot to sneak out of the gym during the blackout, I hid in the walls to do that too, I teleported in the library, and um, I did it all with Clara." 

She frowned, "The principal said she doesn't know about this yet." 

"She doesn't," I nodded. "I did it without her realizing and finding out." 

"There's something you're still not telling me. I think you should before I call home." 

"You always do this," I whined. 

"Tell me," she scolded. 

"I lost control last night in the rain." 

"With which power?" 

"Fire and electricity." 

"So that's why all the lights in the building were flickering." 

"You were awake at that hour?" I asked. 

"I'm always awake," she shrugged. "What did you do?" 

"I don't know," I groaned. "I could feel the voltage in my fingers and my bones, my skin felt like it was on fire and that fire was coming out of my fingers."