35. Beyond that One-Way Street

It had been a week since Philip and I confessed to each other. The misunderstanding between us had been resolved.

That day, I was once again swaying inside a carriage heading towards the Duke of Laurenson's residence. A few days ago, I received a very concerning letter from Phil—

"—I'm worried none of this is real."

As such, I decided to go see him.

"I wonder how excited Philip is every day. How amusing—I mean, how relieving."

For some reason, Rex followed me.

When I was getting ready and about to leave, I met him at the front door. He had sent a letter beforehand saying he was coming to play due to being free.

When I told him I was going to the duke's residence, Rex decided he'd also come. He didn't even ask for my consent.

"I'm truly glad that everything went well."

"Yes, thank you."

I apologized to my family, and also the people close to me, for lying. As for everyone else, I decided to go with the pretense that I had regained my memory. After being freed from having to pretend to be amnesiac, I felt refreshed.

Phil, who had also been freed from his lies, must have also been at peace of that moment.

"Now, he can flirt with you without worrying about anything."

"I don't think he'd do that."

"But, not only are you engaged with each other, your feelings are also mutual. Shouldn't it be normal?"

"...That's right, but."

"Ah, right, it's Philip we're talking about. It wouldn't be strange for that man to take about half a year to muster the courage to kiss you."

Even though the whole incident had passed, I still had to report to Rex. Rex said that he'd absolutely ask about our progress. I looked outside the window—I didn't want to report about my relationship to my cousin!

Before long, I could see the duke's house. For a long time, I had been reluctant to visit the duke's house. Now, it was as if that phase had never existed in my life.

"Welcome, Lady Viola, Lord Rex."

"Hello."

Upon arriving, Rex was the first to enter Phil's room. As usual, a servant guided us.

"Sorry, Philip, I'm here, too."

"It's alright."

Phil seemed a little surprised to see him, but soon showed a soft smile. It was probably because he wanted to thank Rex, as well.

When Phil turned his gaze towards me, he looked terribly surprised. However, while averting his gaze, he took the plunge to speak first.

"...Y, you've, arrived."

"Yes, I have. Nice to meet you."

For some reason, Philip spoke like Vio-chan.

"When I went to Viola's house just earlier, she told me that she's going to see Philip. So, I decided to come with her."

"I see."

"Let me see that parakeet."

"...You can't."

"Please, allow it for my sake? I've helped the two of you, after all."

Apparently, Rex wanted to see Vio-chan. In the end, Phil relented towards Rex's persistence. "I understand."