Beauty Calls

Pallas opens her eyes to sunshine streaming through the window, reaching across the bed toward her. She pushes herself upright, looking around the room. A little owl is perched on the windowsill, watching her, but Athena is nowhere in sight. She would have entertained the notion that this owl is Athena if it were not for the fact that Athena wouldn't be watching her in another form.

Besides, even if Athena was in another form, Pallas would still know her. She always has, able to pick up on the slightest mannerisms and expressions, let alone feeling her power. She slides off of the bed and steps over to the owl, stroking its speckled brown and cream feathers. The owl nibbles on her fingers as she does so. Pallas laughs softly and murmurs to the owl.

"Where is your lady, winged one?"

The owl hoots and spreads its wings, launching into the air. It flies through the door into the room on silent wings, a guide to Athena. Pallas follows it from the room and through what looks to be a grand suite. She finds Athena in a large sitting room talking to another woman that . . . looks exactly like Athena? She stares at the two of them as the owl alights on the shoulder of the closer lookalike. So that one must be Athena, but who is the other?

"Thene? Who is this, and . . . why do they look like you?"

Athena's cheeks redden slightly and she turns towards Pallas, stroking the owl's feathers. "This is Aphrodite, goddess of love and beauty and the wife of my brother Hephaestus."

"And why does she look like you?"

Aphrodite grins and sweeps her hair over her shoulder. "Oh you're sweet. I appear as your ideal image of beauty. Now Athena, why didn't you tell me you were smitten with a demigod? Or is that why you asked me here?"

"My feelings are not the reason I requested your presence, although I would be most grateful if you didn't declare it to the rest of the Olympians just yet."

Aphrodite perks up in excitement, her voice brightening. "Is it forbidden love?"

Athena frowns, and Pallas touches her back. "No, I would just like to keep it private, and I also would prefer to not have to explain our situation more than I must."

Aphrodite bounces from one foot to the other, her eyes gleaming. "Oh? What's the situation?"

Athena sighs and looks to Pallas. "Would you like to explain, or shall I?"

Pallas leans her head against Athena's shoulder and the little owl leans down to nibble on her hair. "You do it, please."

"Very well. Aphrodite, this is Pallas. Daughter of Triton and Daughter of Poseidon." Aphrodite's brow furrows slightly at that and her hands drift downward as if she was going to place them on her hips. "She was reborn and retained her memories."

Aphrodite's hands are actually on her hips now. "That doesn't explain your connection."

Pallas snorts. "You really think it needs explanation?"

Aphrodite's eyes glitter dangerously. "I know the emotion I feel from you two, Pallas, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to know how it came about."

Athena touches Pallas' arm. "Relax. Aphrodite, Pallas and I grew up together once I emerged from my father's head, I was her foster sister. We became close. Is that enough details for you?"

Aphrodite narrows her eyes for a moment before she grins, her foot tapping slightly. "For now. So if not to talk about your lovely relationship, why am I here?"

Athena makes a humming sound and strokes the owl. "Do you know of a way to give hair a permanently curled state?"

Crossing her arms, Aphrodite narrows her eyes in what could be a glare of annoyance, and when she speaks her voice is flat. "You want to know if I can do a perm? Of course I can, but really?"

Athena gives her an unimpressed look, and Pallas has to hold back her laugh at the standoff of the two goddesses. "Can you do something that doesn't require repeated treatments?"

Aphrodite looks scandalized. "What do you take me for, an amateur? Of course I can do that. But why would I do it?"

Athena sighs. "You want a trade."

"Yes. I'm glad we see eye to eye. What shall you give me?"

"An item of weaving, of your choice."

"Anything?"

Athena nods sharply. "Anything I can weave, yes."

"Agreed, then." Aphrodite glances at Pallas and crooks a finger. "Come, girl."

Athena clicks her tongue, eyes narrowing. "You do have manners, Aphrodite. Yes?"

Aphrodite glares at Athena in an expression eerily both like and unlike the actual version of the expression Athena would wear, too soft at the corners. Aphrodite snaps her fingers toward Pallas.

"Come please." Pallas steps up to Aphrodite, who grabs onto her shoulders to position Pallas in front of her. "Stand there, Darling."

Aphrodite brings her hand up and places it on the crown of Pallas' head. Power ripples down to envelop her body, smelling of roses. She steps back after a moment, a soft smile on her face. Instead of a sheet of hair that lies flat against her back, curls brush against her shoulders. She can feel herself relax, closer to being home in her own body than she has since she woke.

Aphrodite nods. "There, now you look lovely. Although, why was curled hair necessary? Perhaps you would like it straight."

"My hair curled before. I'd like to not panic when I feel my hair in this life, when it isn't as I remember."

Aphrodite pats her cheek and steps back. She turns to Athena. "We're done here."

Pallas glances back to see Athena dip her head. The scent of roses washes over her and when Pallas glances forward again, Aphrodite is gone. She reaches up to touch her hair, feeling the texture of the curls to be exactly as it was before. She doesn't know how Aphrodite knew what it was like, but she can't say she isn't grateful. She steps over to Athena and smiles.

"Thank you, Thene."

Athena cups Pallas's cheek for a moment before she gives Pallas a short, soft kiss and pulls back. "You don't need to thank me, Pallas."

Pallas smiles. "It doesn't mean I can't." She flicks a straying curl out of her eye. "What are we going to do today?"

Athena shifts. "I have an idea, but it's your choice."

"Oh? Would you care to tell me more about this idea?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aphrodite was interesting to write. I thought she would be one way or the other, but she wavered between them instead.

What did you think of this chapter? What do you think they're going to do for the rest of the day? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out