Chapter 9

Azriel's POV

Florence's eyes danced with anticipation as Azriel watched her. He couldn't help but be curious about the Goddess' intentions with the High Lord of Spring Court.

"Care to share your thoughts?" He asked, raising his brow at her. His shadows lie low on the ground.

"Just worried." She quickly answered, her eyes never meeting him as she stared off at Tamlin's estate.

"For your sentries or Tamlin?" Azriel asked with a hint of humor in his tone as he tried to enlighten the Goddess' mood.

For the short amount of time he knew her, she'd never been this nervous.

Indeed, she did laugh. Her smile revealing teeth and her small dimple faintly appearing. It made some, small, part of him feel giddy for being able to make her smile genuinely.

"I despise your ability to speak carefree with deception." She slightly turned her head towards his. "You're able to speak and lie. And I am not." She paused and thought about her next few words of choice for a second. "Though, I suppose it's only a small sacrifice for being Divine." A small grin grew on her face. "I would lie-a lot. If I could, that is."

"Some part of me believes you would lie-a lot, if you could." Ariel shook his head, an amused look in his eyes now dancing.

"It's not as if I could lie." Florence softly snorted at the Shadowsinger. "Shall we?" She looked towards the long, stony path ahead of them and walked in front of Azriel, leading him towards Tamlin's estate.

"I feel as if I should be the one leading." Azriel tilted his head at the Goddess.

"Is it hurting your ego that you're not?" Florence, clearly delighted, asked as she was amused.

"Not as bad as it'd probably hurt yours." Azriel joked.

It felt good to be finally able to talk to her freely without any worry. Or just to be able to be in her presence and it satisfied some part of him. He couldn't explain what he felt-but to put it in words, he felt as if he was finally able to breathe.

Like he was no longer drowning. Because somehow, with her, some part of his heart knew he'd be okay in the end.

The Goddess narrowed her eyes at him, playfully, before continuing her walk. The path was only just visible enough as vines and overgrown weeds covered it. The grass was faintly green, if anything yellow.

Once they reached the run down manor. Arae were spotted guarding the door. Azriel spotted the green-eyed warrior from before standing guard.

"Faith," Florence spoke. A grin on her face as she bowed her head at the Arae.

"Your majesty," The Arae bowed to the Goddess. "I'm afraid Lord Tamlin was not expecting visitors."

"Yes, I'm afraid I haven't planned this ahead of time. My apologies." Florence's eyes roamed the manor. Small visible cracks in the foundation and vines overgrowing everywhere. "He is here, is he not?"

Faith nodded. "He is." She opened the door leading to a dusty, dark inside.

Azriel waited for Florence to head inside before he did.

Florence turned back to eye him. "Waiting for me to take the first hit as you save yourself?" She asked, her eyes glittering with amusement.

Azriel's brows furrowed, his eyes bewildered before he nodded nonchalantly. "Of course." He faintly smirked.