Furorem

𝕿he tension in the room spiked up to an entirely new level

𝕿he tension in the room spiked up to an entirely new level. If I weren't already watching my father, I might've missed the flash of surprise that went through his eyes, but I caught it. He did not expect me to come. Seeing my father was harder than I expected. What a difference a few hours had made, he looked small and weak, cheeks hollowed out and so pale like he was fighting for every breath, his hair falling about his face in stringy waves.

I opened my mouth but Baba raised a finger to his lips, his eyes wide in a warning. I tilted my head to listen to the conversation happening right outside the main door, listening to the hushed and murmured responses. I couldn't make out their words, but the men spoke urgently, voices lowered now.

"You shouldn't be here Daania."

I let out a short laugh. What the hell was he talking about?

"How could I not Baba? You're in jail. They won't let you go till the Magistrate comes to court on Monday. They won't accept bail. Up till five minutes ago, they wouldn't let me even talk to you. What is going on?"

"It's all my fault beta. I thought I could get us out of this mess, but I just made it worse."

"What do you mean it was your fault? Baba, what did you do?"

"I had no idea he would react that way! I was giving him the opportunity of his life."

A few minutes later there was a raised voice again. This one was of a woman. I stepped closer, my fingers closing around the cold metal bars. "What is this program Baba? Why is it so important?"

"It's...I-"

More muffled sounds, someone cursed, and then there was the sound of a phone ringing. For a moment, I was worried that Taimoor was in the station, that he had found a way to come here to offer another ultimatum, and when I heard footsteps headed towards us, I pressed myself to the bars, heart-pounding, knowing that I didn't have much time.

"Baba you have to tell me. I only have so much time."

"What do you mean? What did you do?"

"What did I do? What did you do!"

"I was looking out for the family! I wanted to make sure that my family had food on the table..." wild thoughts swam in my head as I remembered the last few months of our life. The silent conversations, the strained faces. Mama's silence when I'd asked her about it."I had to steal the computer program. He gave me no choice."

"Who didn't give you a choice? Mr. Mughal?" I looked at his back as he walked to the back of the room and slumped against it.

"No, I didn't even get a chance to meet him, Taimoor didn't let me get near him."

"You didn't -" that liar. The magnetic intensity of hatred burst through my veins for the man with the scars on his face and a bleak melancholy in his eyes. He had played me. Stalled me. He knew exactly what he was doing. And despite my better instincts, I'd fallen for it. Anger and adrenaline pumped through my veins and, putting them to use, I fired away my questions.