Chapter 44 || Percy

Figuring out he was supposed to be dead was one thing. Finding out that he was saved by some holy god who probably wasn't even supposed to save him was another. 

"So, Percy is the person Thanatos decided to save after a thousand years of waiting?" Nico broke the silence.

"I don't get why it was me..." Percy muttered. "It could've been anyone."

"But you are the thing that can actually win the war for us--"

"So I'm a pawn," Percy spat.

"Percy, you're not a--"

"No, I'm being used. I know. I've been used and used and used for all the time I've been an Olympian. Even when I was a child." Percy chuckled bitterly. "It's all the dirty work, all the war... I don't want war, okay? I don't wanna see my friends dying out on that battlefield. And you know what sucks? I can't get away from it. Because the Fates gave me loyalty as a fatal flaw."

Everyone was silent as they stared at him, not sure what to think. Percy knew he was just a tool. A person the Olympians used for their own benefit. Even if they were family, it didn't make Percy any less angry at them. It was unfair. It was so unfair that Percy had to suffer while guilt ate him up inside when he saw the dead agents or the dead trainees who didn't return from a quest.

You should've trained them harder... You should've trained everyone harder... You should've been a better leader... What are you if you can't even train your girlfriend in three months to be ready to defend herself? You suck. You're an asshole--

"Percy?"

Percy was snapped out of his thoughts by Annabeth's angelic voice, his vision zooming into reality again.

"Sorry, I was just... thinking," Percy muttered. "I'm fine."

"But it had to be important," Nico said, his cheeks tinted pink. Percy frowned. Why? Was he hot? Wasn't the air conditioner on full blast? "Will thought that the war had started."

"And he's probably right..." Percy mumbled, trying to slip out of his bed.

"No, no, Percy." Thalia grabbed him and practically shoved him back under the covers. "You aren't going anywhere."

"I'm getting out in a few minutes, Thals. No matter what you say. I don't care. But Will's dead on. Luke literally attacked headquarters. Attacking a place that is considered to be a home base is not done whenever you want to. It's when they declare war... So that's why Thanatos saved me. Because there's war." And if I'm dead, I'm no use to them, Percy added to himself.

Sabrina's face suddenly turned pale. She was reading something the book.

"What?" Percy asked and her head snapped up as she slapped the book shut.

"Nothing," she said, rushed. "I'm... I'm gonna go. I think I have to scout somewhere. A satyr send a warning signal."

She put the book down and dashed out of the infirmary.

"What was that about?" Percy frowned.

"I don't know, but you better get your guard up, Perce," Grover said, walking in, a grim look on his face.

"What? What happened?"

"There's been a report from Beckendorf. He found two demigods slaughtered in the alleyway you and Mark were in when you found Thalia and Annabeth. The murders and accidents occurring there can't be a coincidence. It must be a demigod hot spot for gangs and turned demigods."

"So we need to guard that place better, right?"

"Right," Grover said. "But don't let your guard down on these three--" Grover motioned to Nico, Thalia, and Annabeth. "There've also been reports from the older agents like Dakota and Reyna saying that some the few trainees they brought out of the house were also killed. Percy, you're literally the best spy there is. With the help of six other agents, there is a very likely chance you'll be okay. But we can't let any other trainees out."

"Got it."

"Lucky for us," Grover said, laying out files. "Many of the hotspots for missions are actually inside of Goode or next to Goode, so you have complete access. However, for your first quest, you need to find a way to stay after school on Friday so you can stay for the weekend."

"So... three days stuck in a place that reeks of loser stench?" Clarisse crinkled her nose.

"Yep," Grover said. "But read through the files. These missions are important to Kronos' and Gaea's plans to rise. We have to prevent it, but if we have to, we'll fight."

Percy scanned through the first file.

Kronos's Spy Meeting - Transferring Files - Held At Goode High on Saturday, February 2.

Files contains information about the Olympians, but information about the army. Must retrieve before the location of the safe house is spilled out to everyone, also to gather more information from the opposing side.

"Percy!" Percy's watch beeped.

"Yeah?" Percy responded.

"They took Nakamura."

"What?"

"When they raided, they managed to take Nakamura with them. Nakamura's back in the gang."

"Oh shit," Piper groaned. "So now, Nakamura knows where the information facility is."

"Not just Nakamura. Everyone in the Kronos Army."

Everyone groaned.

"Well, we'll have to go scouting after school tomorrow. We'll move the facility somewhere else," Percy decided.

"Just be careful. If possible, show almost no signs of pain. It's a weakness," Grover said. "Everyone's counting on you."

No pressure at all... Percy thought to himself as he slipped out of the cot.

"I'm gonna go take a swim," he said. "It'll probably make me feel better or something."

When no words were said, Percy assumed everyone was worried. He was, too. It was getting worse than it ever did before.