SOPHIA

"Hey, Tommy," I said brightly, as I let the screen door slam behind me.

I walked a couple yards away from the house. With the windows open, you could hear whatever was going on on the porch clear as day. How did I know this, you ask? Okay, maybe I was eavesdropping on Jake. Just a little bit. It was an accident! I was in the kitchen, and he was on the porch. You can't blame my ears for listening. It's what they do. Besides, its not as if I heard anything incriminating. I could only really hear Jake anyways. It just confirmed what I already suspected. He was popular. Mega popular. Like I bet he was prom king and homecoming king for four years straight. He partied. Everyone knew him. Worshipped him. Why wouldn't they? He was nice and smart and funny and— yeah, okay he was attractive. And a jock. So basically everything I already knew. I did learn about Allie though. He'd never mentioned an Allie. But of course there was an Allie. Of course there was. She was probably mega popular too. And pretty. And nice. And went to his games, and went to parties, and all of that high school stuff. I didn't know why I was dwelling on this Allie.

"Soph!" the familiar sound of his voice filled my ear, and I stopped in my tracks, satisfied that Jake could not hear anything. Listen, if I eavesdropped he sure as hell would do the exact same thing. Not to mention he's been far too interested in my deal with Tommy from the beginning. The nosy little dork. Nosy, cute little dork.

"I can't believe you actually picked up," Tommy was saying, and thick guilt settled in the pit of my stomach. He was still my best friend. Usually, I talked to him every single day. Since middle school. It was just— I don't know.

"Yeah— no, sorry," I winced. God, I felt awful. "I've just been so busy."

"Yeah, Reagan told me," he replied. "She said you've actually been having fun." I heard it then. There was a slight undercurrent of accusation to this seemingly innocent comment. He was hurt I'd been talking to Reagan, but dodging his calls. Which is completely and totally valid.

I sighed, "It's actually going a lot better than I expected. Everyone at work is super nice."

"Oh yeah," he said offhandedly, "she mentioned you'd made friends."

I gulped, my heart rate skyrocketing. Oh no. "She— she did?"

"Yeah," answered Tommy, and I shut my eyes tightly. "Maia and Kai, right?"

I let out the biggest breath known to man, "Oh— right. Yes. They're great."

So Reagan didn't tell him about Jake. Did he know anything? At all? Why hadn't she told him? I hadn't asked her to keep it a secret. But she didn't tell him. In fact, she purposely left his name out. More importantly, why hadn't I told him?

"Well, I'm glad you're not completely miserable," Tommy laughed lightly. "I know Abby really pushed this, and you weren't super comfortable so— it's good you're making the best of things."

"Yeah— yeah," I bit my lip. I was far from miserable. So far I couldn't even see miserable. I wasn't just making the best of things, I was honestly enjoying myself. For the first time in a very long time, I was enjoying myself. I rode a motherfucking zip line today. A zip line. I almost told Tommy, but then I decided against it. I don't know why.

As I paced back and forth in the yard, I glanced towards the house. I found Jake looking out the window. At me. Or at least, in my direction. I caught his eye, and he ducked his head almost immediately. I scrunched my nose, poking my tongue out at him, and he grinned back at me, mouthing 'dork'. My heart fluttered, and I couldn't help but smile.

"...you know that," Tommy was saying, and I tore myself away from the boy in the window.

"Sorry- what?" I cringed internally.