Part 2

The girl quietly lead Alastor out through the back door, he hurriedly got into the car, made sure she was safe inside, and drove off.

"Wow that wasn't as hard as I had planned for." Alastor chuckled, and the girl noticed a neat stack of papers with maps and notes in the passenger seat. "What should I call you?" He asked suddenly. The girl looked out the window and shrugged. "I've never actually thought about what I wanted to be called before." She really hoped that she made it sound offhand. Alastor looked in the rearview mirror anxiously and glanced back at her. "I'll find a name later, I'm sure one of my mother's old books would have a name that fits you, for now you can be my little fawn."

"Mr..." she trailed off, unsure of what to call him. "You can just call me Alastor." She nodded and proceeded, "why did you kill my parents?"

He sighed, "let's just say that your parents caught me doing something that they didn't like."
    "Like what?" She asked, wanting to know more. He just laughed and switched lanes before answering. "You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you."
"Yes I would. Please tell me."
"Witchcraft." He replied, they pulled off of the interstate and into a dark neighborhood.
"I don't remember the last time I've ever been allowed outside." The small child told Alastor when they got out. The moon was full, the air felt cool. Alastor gently took her hand and led her upstairs.
"It's not much, but it's also hidden and that's kind of what I need for my work."
The girl gazed around the room with bright green eyes. The walls were bare, there was a kitchen in one corner, a couch and armchair  with a bookshelf, and a couple doors leading off to other rooms.

"It's better than the basement." She told him, smiling. He walked over to one of the doors and opened it. She stood there, waiting for him to return. When he came back, he had a couple blankets and a pillow. "I hope you don't mind the sofa for tonight. I really wasn't expecting to adopt a child tonight." She giggled and looked out the window beside the icebox. Outside there were lights, and some cars, the buildings in the area were all as run down as the building she was in now, but a few blocks out, there was the sprawling city of New Orleans. "Tada!" She heard Alastor say. She hesitantly crawled onto the couch and settled in. He was already sitting in the armchair opposite over her, glancing over the top of his book every now and then with a quizzical look. At last, she heard him say, "Aha! I think this name is perfect! She propped herself up on one arm and looked over. "How do you like the name 'Astrid'?" She grinned "I love it! Thank you."
He smiled, clearly satisfied with himself, and got up. "It's been a long night, Astrid. I suggest you try to get some sleep." He patted her on the head in what must've been an attempt at affection, and put the book back on the shelf before she closed her eyes and fell into a deep sleep.