twelve ✓ isla finds out

chapter ; twelve

title ; isla finds out

act one ; twilight

Isla had woken up and decided to skip school. She didn't often do stuff like that, no. It had been a week since the incident when Isla was walking home from work. Or more when some drunken men had grabbed and pushed around her and Bella around. She couldn't get the feeling of their hands on her body out of her mind.

Not that Isla knew, but Bella had talked with Edward and found out that he and his family were vampires. Once Bella had found out she had handled the situation well. The fact that she (Bella) was Edward's mate and Isla was Alice's mate. Bella was concerned and slightly pressuring Alice and or any of the Cullens to tell Isla about them—about Isla being Alice's mate, but they all refused and said it would come out in good time.

Isla picked up the homemade lunch she had made late last night when she couldn't sleep. It was full of fruits and vegetables, more stuff she could snack on than have a meal with.

Now, why was Isla skipping school the week after a group of men had tried to do things with her and Bella? Well, it's simple really, Isla felt so small at that time. She felt like she was the ant that everyone steps on.

And that wasn't good. She needed time to recoup and think about how she could get away next time if anyone were to ever try and think again.

A buzz entered Islas ears which caused her to look down at her phone which was shaking with text messages from Alice.

Isla had been texting Alice non-stop since that night of the event. Last night she had woken up from a nightmare, texted Alice, but she hadn't gotten any response so she had just figured Alice was just sleeping.

Before the text Isla had sent was even typed up, Alice was going on about how Edward near bought the girl and didn't do anything until Bella showed up.

Alice felt bad. Edward felt bad. Hell, the whole Cullen family felt bad, even Rosalie.

Alice's mind drifting as she tried to recall herself getting a vision of this happening to Isla. Alice practically blamed herself, not that Isla knew that.

"Morning grandma and grandpa," Isla spoke as she entered the living room where her grandfather and grandmother were watching a cooking show.

"Morning dear."

"Morning sweetheart."

They replied in sync, the old married couple smiling at each other.

Islas grandparents still had no idea that her father, their son-in-law, had shown up.

"Do you work today, dear?" Islas grandmother asked, wondering if she needed to be picked up or anything like that.

"Um, no. They, ah, gave the day off." Isla told her grandparents.

Isla had told her grandparents about what had happened and every little detail too. Except for the fact that her father had shown up only hours beforehand. Her grandparents hugged her and told her soft words that made her feel better. Or at least temporarily feel better.

Isla swung her bag over her shoulder, "Have a good day!" She yelled out before shutting the front door.

═════════════════

Isla balanced herself on a log as she walked deeper into the woods. Her hands were by her side loosely just in case she fell and needed to throw them out to catch herself because god knows it would happen. A small hum left her lips as she grasped a flower between her fingers. She had been in the woods practically all day and now it was dark out and she had no idea how to get home.

Maybe, just maybe she shouldn't have gone so deep into the woods. But Isla was just intrigued with the flowers, the dark and light greens that littered the forest, the dirt that softened every fall she took.

Gosh, how much she loved being outside.

Isla had fallen a total of six times. A coincidence right? A clumsy girl who wondered deep into the foods had fallen six times. Isla was covered head to toe in mud, dirt, fallen leaves and grass.

At one point she even had a twig stuck in her hair.

She was surprised that she had even made it so far into the woods without having to call someone to come get her because she was hurt.

The sound of a twig breaking caught the teenager's attention. She looked down at her feet to make sure hadn't caused the noise. But when she noticed that it wasn't her, her body snapped into a panic.

Isla spun around looking for someone or an animal that could have made noise. Her eyes caught a small baby deer that seemed to be lost. Its eyes were sad and looked like it had been running for miles.

The female teenager crouched down and placed her hand out for the deer to sniff her hand so it didn't have to have been threatened by her presence.

Just as the deer went to move towards Isla, a far-away snap caught the attention of the deer and humans. The golden-brown deer ran off quickly and Isla was pushed to the ground.

"Ouch! What the — "

Alice Cullen stood right in front of Islas reclined body. Alice's pretty pink short dress had blood over it. And Islas's eyes widened in panic for the human.

But then she saw the deer. It looked to be dead, drained of all the life it held only a mere few minutes ago.

"W-what did you do?"

Alice didn't reply. She knew she messed up and didn't take into consideration that someone could have been in the woods. Her heightened senses seemed to have just stopped when she was focused on the smell of the deers' blood.

"Isla..."

"No! W-what the heck was that? W-why are you covered in b-blood and that
d-deer is dead?!" Isla moved away from Alice who now was crouched down on the ground, her wide eyes scanning Isla and seeing her fear.

"Isla. I—um—it's not what it looks like." The words were rushed out of the vampire's mouth.

"T-then what is-is it? Oh my gosh, am I going crazy? Because I don't wanna be crazy!" The cries tumbled from Islas quivering lips.

"You're not going crazy."

"Then w-what?"

A pause, a long pause, and then an exhale from Alice Cullen as she prepared to tell Isla.

"I'm—I'm a vampire."

It felt like the world was playing some sick joke on Isla because as soon as she heard the words Alice said, she fell to the forest floor.