30. Of Duty

I ran through the gate, not stopping until I arrived at Mister Pett's door.

Then while I calmed my heart and caught my breath, I glanced back through the arch, seeing the two boys watching me, and I realised they have no warrants[1] for entry. I am safe here. But they know my deceit, and I cannot leave with them out there. The other gate, over by the market. But the road home leads past here.

Maybe climb down from the wharf and walk the strand into the creek. Remain out of their sight below the dike. Upon seeing the ships laying with hulls high to the wharf, I shook my head. Impossible now with the tide full up.

I looked again out through the gate at the two boys. Safe here, but not doing Captain's bidding. Then I recalled Captain paying the guards to take the pilferers to the Constable. Thruppence for the two, it was. My purse still holds a ha'penny and five farthings from begging – no need to spend any since I boarded Bessy. Might I hire one for that amount?

But those were different guards – their own selfs, not the King's, like these. Would these know where I might find one as an escort?[2]

While I pondered, one of the guards approached. "This is the King's Dockyard, and it be for business, not personal amusement."

"I have business here." I pointed to the door and thought – the more detail I tell, the more he will believe what I say. "My captain is in there with Mister Pett and men from the Admiralty, arranging payment for the two ships he purchased at the auction."

"Then, why do you run in and out the gate?"

"I have a duty to perform, and I was on my way to it, when those two." I pointed. "Those two accosted me and threatened to slit my throat if I did not yield my purse."

The guard followed my pointing, then shrugged. "Those young beggars? They mean no harm."

"No harm to those bigger and older. But to me – one of them grasped my cloak, and the other drew a knife and brandished it. Said it was as easy to cut my gullet as it is my purse."

"Boys beg by the gate every day. Never any problem. Might this be from your mind's fanciful embellishment?"

I pointed to my cape's lapets. "Hah! And is this rumpling only in my mind? And is this soiling from filthy hands also a figment?"

The guard pursed his lips and nodded as he examined my cloak.

I silently sighed as he acknowledged. "And how many elegantly-dressed young boys walk alone past here? Smaller, weaker and wealthier than the beggars. I have seen none in all my visits here with Captain Bryson."

He nodded. "True. Nor have I seen any."

Great! Time to show importance. "I have an urgent duty to perform for both the Admiralty and Captain Bryson, up the creek toward Lewisham. Might you know where I can hire a guard to take me safely past those two?"

"I can provide one of mine."

"At what fee?"

"None, lad. It being for the Admiralty, it is the King's business, so there is none."

A few minutes later, flanked by an armed guard, I looked straight ahead, ignoring the taunting as we walked past the two boys. Then when beyond their hearing, I said, "My escape from their grasp has enraged them. And now, with your guarding, they know I have something of great worth. They might covertly observe where I go."

"I was told to stay with you. Then bring you back."

Oh, pother! What now? I cannot let him see the hide. Not with all the gold and the counting. "But you must remain outside the door, watching. They had threatened me with a knife, so we know how desperate they are." I pointed. "And watch the dike – they might use its height to cover an approach along the creek."

He climbed the embankment to look. "Not anyone there all the way along."

"They might not yet be this side of the bend." I chuckled to myself as I said this. Need to keep him thinking of the danger. Keep him occupied outside while I count.

Then, as we continued along the road, I thought about the fastest way to do it. Stacks of ten. And with them all the same size, I need count only the first ten, then match the height. A hundred stacks to a thousand. Then I remembered the two-guinea piece Captain had shown me. Five of those to a stack.

When we approached the house, I turned and looked back toward Deptford. Then satisfied that the boys had not followed, I said, "Walk along twenty yards or so and stand atop the dike, that they not know in which house I am. I shall be a quarter-hour or less. Keep a sharp eye."

"Aye, sir."

It warmed me to be called sir. When his back had turned, I entered the house without his knowing which, and I locked the door behind me. Then with the chairs moved from in front of the hearth, I rolled back the carpet and unlocked the trappe-door, finding a pungent and musty smell as I opened it and gazed down into the dark space. Need a lantern.

The fire was nearly dead when I opened the hearth doors, but with the renewed air, a few small flames began to lick at the remaining logs. I added more wood and lit a lantern with a taper.[2]

Then as I descended to the cellar, I smiled at seeing a balance scale on the shelf

Then as I descended to the cellar, I smiled at seeing a balance scale on the shelf. Need to count only one bag. Nay, only half a bag – not even half. Count one-fourth of a bag and balance the rest.

Now with no rush, I took the time to examine some of the pieces as I set them in stacks on the shelf. A fortune here. Far more than enough to provide a man with a life of ease. Like Captain has now. Yet he wants more – or is it the adventure he wants?

Aye, that is it. He has often said that money of itself does not bring happiness; it is its wise use that does. And for him now, wise use is more venturing at sea.

With twenty-five stacks of ten set in one pan, I scooped handfuls from a bag and placed them in the other pan until the balance was met. Then with that pan dumped into a hempen bag, I repeated thrice.

It was not long before I had five bags of a thousand. Then to test, I balanced each against another, finding the needle always centred. Done. And so fast.

I tied the bags closed, and as I set them on the top step, I realised the trust Captain has in me. It would be so easy to take a piece to my purse. Or a thousand pieces. Not quite twenty-three pounds weight – three or four small bags hung inside my breeches. I would be long gone before he realised.

Gone to where? And for what?

Idiotical[4] thoughts. Captain is my fortune. I need none other.

Notes:
[1] A warrant, in this sense, is a document conveying authority.
[2] Escort existed as a noun at this time but not as a verb until 1708. Thus the odd phrasing.
[3] A taper is a long waxed wick used for lighting candles, lamps or fires.
[4] Idiotical is from the 1640s, and it became idiotic by 1713.