"Do you think I am easier to be played on than a pipe?"

Chapter Twelve

"Do you think I am easier to be played on than a pipe?"

- Hamlet (Act III, Scene II).

THESE MONARCHS WERE AN INSUFFERABLY boring lot, even the secrets they divulged to me were useless

THESE MONARCHS WERE AN INSUFFERABLY boring lot, even the secrets they divulged to me were useless. Alas, I do what I am asked with a charming smile and an air of mystique. It has gotten to the point in which my readings have become a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy.

If I predict that it will rain and it doesn't, all I have to say is that they mistook the meaning of my reading - that I had meant it was to rain figuratively. Not literally.

And they buy it. They buy all of it.

It is an interesting position although perilous, for if the seed of doubt is planted -

None are more vengeful than nobles.

         The only cloud in my game of deception comes in a shape of a handsome captain of the guard. Curse him and his looks. Although he is not in the room with us I cannot help but feel his disapproving gaze burning the back of my head.

I stare into the red of my wine glass. For if Giovanni buys into my game, then I can finally rest assured that I am safe. I scratch the back of my head, for his imagined smolder is literally giving me hives.

        A natural skeptic that man. 

        Does he not have anything better to do than make my life miserable? One would think that the captain of the guard should be out guarding something.

Also, why is he never made to come these courtier functions? Why must I always suffer?

        I stare longingly out the window, wishing that I would have mentioned something about it being a great day to spend outside in my horoscope to the queen, alas the Mad queen is no mood. Especially after Giovanni informed her that there is indeed a traitor if not many in her current court, traitors who are dealing with a very dangerous man indeed.

        Roderick la Fontaine.

        The name itches my mind; I know I have heard it before, I just cannot remember when or where or by whom! I sit very still, concentrating on the thought, so close to grasping the answer, but it is all in vain for the Mad Queen hollers for me and the answer flitters away like the mists of the early morning.

        I swallow my agitation and smile instead.

        "Yes, my queen? How may I be of service?"

        "Do sit beside me Petra dear. You are the only one I trust here." She sits up even taller on her seat and announces rather loudly with all the intention of increasing the awkwardness in the room. "Since there are traitors all around me!"