42. To Love, Honour and Protect

Bam!

"Get down!"

Mr Ambrose's shout came just an instant before sparks flew up from the pavement beside us and stone splinters exploded in all directions. An instant later, a huge, Ambrose-shaped rock slammed into me, pushing me to the ground and covering me with his body.

Bam!

"Ng!" Mr Ambrose grunted.

"What is it?" I demanded, my voice rising in panic. "What happened to you?"

"Nothing!" he bit out through clenched teeth. "Grrah...nothing whatsoever!"

Yep, that sounded so convincing.

"Don't lie to me! Where are you injured? How bad—"

"No time!"

Bam!

My head jerked up, and in the light of the flash I saw him. The man high, high up on the huge stone base of the statue, dressed in black, with a rifle clutched in his hand.

"Get back inside!" Mr Ambrose barked, pushing me back towards the entrance of the statue as he dashed straight towards the assassin up on the towering stone edifice. No...not dashing. Limping.

"But—"

"Now! Go!" Not waiting for an answer he broke into a run and, with a roar, leapt into the air, digging his fingers in the gap between two of the giant stone blocks of the pedestal. Immediately, he started to climb. I hesitated for just one more second—then whirled and dashed back towards the door that led into the statue. Stumbling inside, I pressed myself against the wall and listened intently.

Bam! Bam, bam!

All right, maybe listening hadn't been such a good idea after all.

Crap! What are you doing, Lilly?

I was not going to cower here in fear while my husband risked his bloody life for me! Not while I still had a revolver loaded and ready to go! Reaching into the folds of my dress, I stepped towards the door again—then hesitated. My free hand slid down across my front, onto my belly.

It wasn't just me who would be cowering in a corner, would it? And it wouldn't be just me in danger if I decided to go out there.

But if you stay, he might die! And then that bastard of an assassin is going to come after both you and your...your...

I wasn't quite ready to use the word yet. But the thought of any harm coming to "it"...no. Not it. Him. Or her. The mere idea brought my blood to the boiling point!

For a moment, I stood there, hesitating—then I suddenly heard a sound from behind me. A cold tingle went down my spine. Instantly, I threw myself to the side! And not a moment too soon. Feeling the cold draft of something whizzing over my head, I rolled on the ground and leapt back on my feet, facing the new enemy.

Ah. Seems the decision has already been made.

There were three brutish men emerging from the shadows of the statue's cavernous interior, "New York Street Thug" practically printed on their foreheads. Smirking, they hefted their clubs and knives.

"Well, well, boys," the leader chuckled. "Will you look at that? Looks like our new boss was right about it being easy to split 'em up. While he's busy gunning down that rich ass outside, why don't we have some fun with this broad?"

"Yeah." His fellow thugs nodded, smirking. "Let's have some fun."

"Indeed." An even wider smile spread over my own face as I reached deeper into the folds of my dress. "Let's."