[7] Good girl

"control your emotions"

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

"What do you want to do today?" I ask my little sister.

"Watch Frozen!" Charlotte replies. I definitely should have predicted that. It's her favourite movie.

So we do what she asks. I make some popcorn and turn on the movie. I throw a blanket over the little girl beside me and she curls up into my side.

We watch the movie- well I watch the movie and Charlotte reenacts the scenes- and before I know it, it's over.

"I've got to get going, Charles." I say watching as her smile falls.

Her eyes well up with tears and she grasps onto my arm. "Please don't leave." She begs. My heart shatters. It's just her and dad in the house with me at school, and even though I live close, she's still alone. She loves dad, of course, but it's hard. He's at work constantly and so she spends her time at school, gymnastics, and with a nanny. Dad and I try and be there as much as we possibly can for her, but it's not nearly enough.

After over 10 minutes of my sister crying and begging me not to leave, I manage to say goodbye. Once I make it to my car, I begin driving back to campus. Today is my first tutoring session, and I'm not looking forward to it.

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

I hate school. It's as plain and simple as that. I always have and I think I always will. It's pointless. A bunch of memorizing that turns into useless knowledge, professors who really don't care about you, lectures that bore you from the inside out. It's all meaningless, so why should I try?

Unfortunately, I have to do this. I have to be tutored and I have to raise my grades. If I don't, I can't be captain, and hockey is one of the only things I care about. Even still, this tutoring thing not going to be easy for either of us.  

I walk into the library and spot a short brunette trying to reach a book on the top of a bookshelf. I laugh to myself as I watch her go on her tiptoes, and stretch her body as tall as possible.

"You look like an idiot." I point out as I reach above her grabbing the book she was reaching for.

"Good, that was my goal all along." She retorts, trying to seize the book back from my hands.

"What do you say?" I ask, feeling the urge to irritate her.

"Give me my book." She states blatantly.

I look down at her, "Wrong"

"Thank you." She mumbles, obviously annoyed with me.

"Good girl,"

She pats my shoulder, "Come on darling, we need to get studying. I can already tell you're going to need all the help you can get." She uses that dumb nickname she selected for me, clearly not able to let me win.