Chapter 17

Therese woke up sore Wednesday morning. She climbed out of bed, stiff and in pain. She replayed the events of the previous evening over in her head and shuddered. Maybe she should stay home. She picked up the phone and called Jen.

"My mom warned me you would call," Jen said on the phone. "But she says it's really important that you come this morning. You'll heal a lot faster if you do. Moping around all day will make it worse. My mom had to threaten Bobby for the same reason."

"But I'm in pain," Therese objected. "I hadn't gone riding in a year. And I fell down and hurt myself, remember?"

"We can't make you come," Jen said, "but my mom will be very disappointed and really upset. It's your choice. Don't forget we still have the Wildhorse Saloon tonight. I've gotta go."

Therese groaned. She couldn't have the entire Holt family angry with her, especially when she still felt guilty over what had happened. She kept thinking if only she had been in better control of Dumbo, things might have happened differently. Reluctantly, she threw on some clothes and sneakers and headed downstairs. She shared some breakfast with her aunt before they and Clifford climbed into Carol's car. She kept her eyes out for Than as she absently made two braids in her hair, but didn't see him along the dirt road. When they reached the tall grass across from the Holts' house, she craned her neck to see if he might be swimming. His golden figure glided through the water. After she climbed from the car and thanked her aunt, she followed Clifford across the field to the lake where Than was swimming.

"Come in," he said when he saw her watching him from the bank where his clothes sat piled in a heap. "It feels great." His eyes sparkled in the sunlight, and his wet hair and body glistened.

Sometimes a weird feeling that he was merely a product of her imagination made her long to touch him to make sure he was real. "I didn't wear a suit." She was relieved he wasn't mad about the way she had snapped at him yesterday. "But maybe another time."

He swam toward the shore and stood up where the water grew shallow. His skin glowed as the sun behind her sprayed its rays across his wet body. Therese turned away from his beauty. Sadness still hung over her.

"You okay?" he asked.

"I'm sorry I snapped at you yesterday." Her voice cracked.

"No apology necessary."

She waited for him while he climbed into his clothes. She tried not to steal glances at him, but she failed miserably. Clifford came up to Than for some affection.

"Hi, Clifford." Than patted the dog's head. Then he turned to Therese. "Ready?"

They walked across the tall grass and dirt road to the gravel drive leading to the Holt house. Than asked her a few more questions, like what was Clifford like as a puppy and she as a little girl. He laughed when she told him about the time she lost Jewels in the woods and had actually called 911 and the person on the phone thought Therese was talking about a younger sister.

"I got in a lot of trouble for that," she said. She looked over at him and took in his grin. It unnerved her, but she managed to ask, "Have you ever gotten into trouble?"

"Never," he said.

"Never ever?"

"Nope. I've always been good. My brother, on the other hand, well, that's another story."

"You have a brother?"

"A twin. But we're not identical. I got the good looks, the sense of humor, and the charm. He got the more devilish qualities."

Although Than was laughing, like he was only joking, Therese froze in her tracks.

"What's wrong?" he asked.