5-Crash

Chapter 5 - Crash

Alyssa's POV:

Pain, fear, and anxiety shot through me. What is going on? I struggled to wake up. Struggled to understand what was happening. Had I not died? Had I not slipped into the peacefulness of the afterlife. I knew I had, I felt it. So why was I now screaming on the inside; begging, hoping, praying someone would come and rescue me? It was never ending. Pain shot through me again causing my body to seize. I was aware, so painfully aware, but I could not wake up despite my best efforts.....wait, just like before, there it was again. Peace.... calm... safety.... darkness.... slipping away once more.

Alpha Brent's POV:

What felt like hours to get to my mate was mere minutes. I stepped around her mother to take my place back at the head of her bed.

"What is going on?!" I roared at the room full of medical staff. I noticed a defibrillator next to my mates bedside, paddles had been used...dread filled me...please, Goddess, I silently begged.

"Alpha?" the doctor hesitantly addressed me.

I nodded in her direction for her to continue.

"Luna crashed just a few minutes after our conversation in the hallway and-"

"You said she was going to be fine" I gritted my teeth together trying to keep my composure.

"Yes, Alpha, all of her lab work came back incredible. Better than expected I have no idea what happened. Minutes after you walked out of the building she began to have seizure-like activity and began to crash. We got her heart rate back, but as you can see it is extremely rapid, if we cannot slow this down, I'm afraid she will have a heart attack, we have maxed her out on meds.."

My attention shifted to the monitors..

I slowly lowered myself into the chair at her bedside as I faced her. Scared that I may cause things to worsen, I hesitantly grabbed her hand and kissed the back of it, as I began to stroke lazy circles on to the back of her hand, praying silently for her healing.

"Alpha..."

My attention snapped back to the doctor. I held my breath, scared to hear more bad news.

"Her heart rate is going back down!"

I looked over at the monitor and sure enough. Her heart rate had gone from the high 190s down to 120, and then dropped again to 90 as it evened out.

"Alpha, it's you. That has to be why the female Gamma - "

"Luna" I dangerously breathed...

"Yes, Alpha, I am so sorry. This must be why Luna was recovering so well. It's your bond. You really are her mate..." she breathed out in awe..

I let it slide at the fact that she had somehow questioned my judgment. I could respect that this was a very odd situation. Me being mates with a woman who had already been mated, marked, and wed. Was Anderson right? Could she feel me?

I looked over at my now wildly grinning beta..he was right twice in one day..I absolutely would never live this down.

Clearing her throat my mate's mother began to speak, "Alpha O'Connor?"

"It's Brent to you Mr. and Mrs. James"

Smiling softly she continued, "Well, Brent, our daughter is clearly in very good hands. My husband and I need to get back to our granddaughter, Tenley and -"

"Granddaughter?" I cut her off.

My mind slowly caught up as I began to realize that that must have been the child in the photo that my mate was holding on to. I knew this was a possibility. She had a mate before me, she is married. Why wouldn't they have a child? Of course they did. Mates usually wasted no time in mating, marking, and having pups. It's how our kind ensured we did not go extinct. This did little to soften the blow. It just reminded me further that once she wakes up, she could leave me, too.. Just like Macey did.