21

Amelia's POV

Staring at my reflection in the mirror, I felt like a fraud standing in that beautiful dress that I thought was perfect only a few days before. Everything was exactly how I wanted it. But the strange feeling swirling inside of my chest wouldn't let the smile on my face be genuine.

"Everyone, give us a few minutes." My mother told my bridal party. I turned my attention to her, as the last person left and closed the door. My mother looked back at me with worry in her eyes. "What happened last night, Amelia?"

I walked towards a chair, pulled my dress up and sat down. "Nothing."

My mother sat beside me and leaned her hand against my perfectly styled hair. "You don't seem happy."

"I am happy. I'm marrying the love of my life. Why wouldn't I be happy?"

"Amelia," she reached for my hands and covered them with her own. "I remember when you told me you wouldn't go to Camp Yukon anymore."

I felt tense. "Yeah. I was too old to—"

"You loved that place and you loved that girl." A flushed feeling consumed my face. "You think I didn't notice?"

"Mom, that's silly. We were friends."

"Best friends, if I remember correctly. You two lived on either side of the continent. You couldn't wait to see her again every year." I turned away from my mother's stare, as tears filled my eyes. "You'd beg us to take you to California to see her on every birthday of yours."

"Mom, I—" my voice felt hoarse. I didn't want to think about Syd. I wanted to focus on not ruining my makeup with tears. I wanted to stare at my gown that I spent thousands on. And I wanted to think about the ceremony where the man I loved would be waiting at the end of the aisle. But I couldn't. My feelings wouldn't let me.

"Your Dad didn't notice it. But I did. You were crazy about her. I always wondered why—"

"She tried to kiss me. I didn't like it. End of story. I've got a wedding to get to." She held my arm, as I tried to stand. "Mom, stop. I can't do this!"

"Sit and listen to me."

Hesitation lingered in her eyes. "What? What else can you say to ruin my wedding?"

"If you walk down that aisle, your chances with her will—"

"Mom, there's nothing between us. I love Daniel."

"And you don't want to hurt him. But are you going to marry him when you know that you might love his ex-wife?" The color from my face drained. "You think I wouldn't figure it out?"

"Daniel and I already talked about it. And we'll figure it out after the wedding."

"Figure it out? Amelia, you can't marry someone you—"

We were interrupted by a knock on the door. "Amelia, it's Jackie. Just wanted to see you before the ceremony."

"I love him. That's all I know right now," I told my mom.

She shook her head slowly. "If this is what you really want. I only want you to be happy." She pulled me into a hug.

I rested my chin on her shoulder and  stared aimlessly at my reflection in the mirror. Everything was supposed to be perfect. And it was. Except for me.