3

I hate going into the deep freezer at my job. Our uniforms require us to wear short sleeve polos and every time I go in there it feels like a little piece of winter in the dead of summer.

My coworker asks me to go get some more milk in the back. I drag my feet towards the deep freezer wishing I went to bed just a bit earlier last night. I open the door dreading the coldness that was about to hit me. A few steps in I hear a clanking sound hitting against the metal walls of the freezer, I just can't tell where. It was weird, but I push it into the back of my mind due to the fact that equipment is always breaking down in this god-forsaken place.

As I'm handing my co-worker the milk she asked for, the sound came back in mind, so I decided to ask her about it.

"Hey, quick question, have you ever heard a sort of weird clanking sound in the deep freezer before?" As the words left my lips she visibly went pale as her eyes widened. What she said next made me feel physically sick.

"If you ever hear that again get out immediately and don't-under any circumstances- go back in until that noise stops...okay?"

"...Okay..." I say quietly, my voice slightly shaking. "But why, what is it?"

"Just don't do it, okay?!" she shouted back in an urgent manner. I honestly didn't know what to say after that, so I just dropped the topic and walked back to the line of customers in the front of the store.

I worked the rest of the day in constant fear as I can hear the distant clanking in the background of the noise filled cafe.