тринадцать.

тринадцать. (trinadtsat') — thirteen.

Bucky had been afraid

Bucky had been afraid. When she finally agreed to stay, to live with him, it had given him the realization that he now depended on her, too. Maybe he could do it alone. Sure. But he didn't want to. He needed to be with Mace, all the time. He didn't know why, or for what. He could just feel it.  It made him afraid. 

But he wouldn't do that to her again.  Maybe it was too quick.  But he didn't care anymore.  When he heard Mace tell him that she needed him... it changed his mind back.  He promised he wouldn't leave.  She finally said she'd stay.  What good were promises if no one kept them?

Later in the night, Bucky looked through his kitchen for something for the pair to eat.  Most of the cabinets were bare of a real meal, and the fridge was mostly empty except for bottles of seltzer water and milk. 

"I have to go shopping," said Bucky.  Mace was sitting on the couch, on her laptop.  "We don't have anything to eat for dinner."

"Order pizza," suggested Mace.

"I'd need to get groceries anyway," he explained.  "Want to come?" he asked her.

"Not really," said Mace. 

"Still not a people person, huh?"

Mace smiled at him.  "You know me."

"You get used to it."

"I know," she said.  "You go.  Come back soon."

"I will."  Bucky grabbed his wallet and a cap off the counter.  Mace looked up to give him a kiss as he passed her on the couch.

"Phone," said Mace after the kiss, nodding toward the kitchen drawer he kept it in. 

Bucky smiled at her, and turned back to the kitchen.  "You know me," he said, grabbing it out of the drawer.  He put it in his pocket. 

"See you," she said, as he walked out the door. 

Bucky waved with two fingers, then walked out the door.  She heard his dog tags jingle around his neck, then the door shutting.  Silence.

Mace hadn't liked silence before.  And this one didn't last long.  Suddenly she heard small footsteps outside her door— someone attempting to be extremely quiet.  But whoever it was was louder than the silence, and to Mace's sensitive ears, rather disruptive. 

She grabbed a knife from the kitchen and snuck over to the door quietly.  Bucky had left it unlocked— there was no need to lock it, being that there was someone home who was perfectly capable of defending herself.  And besides, what would any robber want to take from them?  He didn't really need a lot of valuable things— so he simply didn't have them. 

Mace stayed beside the door with her back to the wall, knife in hand.  She peered through the crack between the hinges, but barely anything was visible— without opening the door, she was only able to see a fuzzy silhouette.