22 ~ 𝙙𝙚𝙫𝙞𝙡 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩'𝙨 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙢𝙚

Newt

These past few weeks at the Right Arm has been the best few weeks of my life. My friends and I were safe, and being fed and taken care of properly. I found my sister; one of the missing pieces I didn't know I was looking for. And Lottie... Lottie. I'm so lucky I have Lottie. I still can't really wrap my head around the fact that she's mine, and I'm hers as well. Never in a million years would I think she felt the same way about me. Minho, of course, thought otherwise.

"You really are blind," he said, rolling his eyes. "The both of you are. Shuck, I can't believe it took you a year and a half to find out your feelings for each other. The rest of us were dying waiting."

We were sitting on our beds inside the large tent the Gladers and our friends shared. The beds were more like cots, and they were basically the only thing inside the tent other than a few bedside tables. I thought you could tell who slept in which bed based on what they looked like in the morning. Maybe it was because I knew them so well, but nobody could tell me that Minho and Julian weren't the ones whose beds were always messy and unmade and that Frypan and Alex were the complete opposite and made sure the blankets were completely smooth.

"I still can't believe you all knew before we knew ourselves." I shook my head at Minho.

"We didn't have anything better to do in that place." Minho shrugged. "It was our only form of amusement."

Before I could open my mouth to respond, Laurence, coming up behind us, interrupted. He was always doing that; popping up out of nowhere to give us more work to do around camp. Not that I minded. If doing a bit of work to help out the Right Arm was the price I needed to stay with them, I would work day and night, no questions asked.

"Amusement?" Laurence echoed, smirking a little. "We talking about having fun boys?"

"Yes?" Minho said.

"Unacceptable," said Laurence sarcastically. Minho and I exchanged a look. "Really? I can't make a joke around here?" Laurence sighed. "Whatever. I need you two to help some guys load some things into a Berg."

"Already?" I asked in surprise. "Aren't there still two weeks left until the raid?"

"Yes. And? All we've been doing for months is preparing, and you're surprised now?"

"Okay, alright," I said. "No need to get so defensive." I stood, Minho following suit. We ducked out of the tent, leaving Laurence behind to shake his head at the mess we'd made in there. 

"You're the ones who are going to be cleaning this place up before we leave," he called at our retreating backs.

"We know," yelled Minho over his shoulder.

Together we made our way over to where the Bergs were kept. One of them had the tarp taken off, and there were people walking up and down the ramp carrying crates of stuff. The rest were all covered up still, waiting for their turn to be loaded up. There were actually a lot of Bergs that the Right Arm managed to steal.

Minho and I went over to the stack of crates everyone was picking from and lifted up one of our own, joining the line of people going inside the Berg. My curiosity got the better of me and I spoke to the boy in front of me. 

"How did the Right Arm get all these Bergs without being caught?"

The boy smirked. "Oh, they were caught. WICKED just wasn't able to stop them."

"Aren't these expensive?" 

"Money isn't a worry for WICKED," the boy scoffed. "They probably had ten more of these made the next day. Believe me, these Bergs we have were not missed."