- 9 -

Lara bit her lower lip and looked at Minho's worried expression as he waited for her answer. She could tell how much his offer to help her meant to him. She hoped she was right to trust him and he wasn't some mountain monster or blood-thirsty wandering spirit trying to trick her. Putting down her branch, she extended her hand to help him stand up. He hesitated, then took it carefully, making sure his claws didn't touch her skin. He looked at her in wonder as he got to his feet.

"I still can't believe that you are really here," he said.

"I'll go with you and try to help you," said Lara. "But only if you promise to help me as well."

"I promise!" he said immediately, once more showing his scary teeth in his own version of a smile.

"First there are some things you should know," said Lara quietly. "You see, I'm from Islada."

"Oh," said Minho, backing away until his back hit the wall of the house behind him. "So you have Dragon-Magic?"

"Yes," she said, watching his reaction closely.

Minho looked on both sides repeatedly, his hooves fidgeting in place like he was getting ready to flee. Even his breathing seemed shallow.

"I won't use it against you, I swear," said Lara. "You haven't given me any reason to..."

Minho grimaced and scratched his head. "Sorry. It looks like I might not be as over my fear as I thought. Why did you come to Centrix? Is Dragon-Magic not forbidden anymore?"

"It still is, but I can live without using it for a while," she said. "I came here to learn Symbiolism."

"Really? Why would you need it? Isn't Dragon-Magic much more powerful?"

"Yes, but I like how different Symbiolism is from Dragon-Magic and yet just as effective. Although it doesn't have a very wide range of applications, it's also more reliable in time of crises, as it can't be influenced by emotions. Cal, my father's childhood friend accepted to teach me... He's half Isladian and he often wrote us about the advantages of mastering both types of magic. Since Islada and Centrix aren't exactly on great terms, I thought coming to Biarney would also be a good opportunity to learn more about life here. Sorry, I'm digressing."

"No, no," he said. "How did you end up in Alstein?"

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "I died. Cal brought me back, we got separated, and I came here to hide," she said as quickly as she could. "There, that's it." She opened her eyes slowly, her heart beating fast.

Minho was staring at her. He opened his mouth a few times, like he was about to speak, then closed it again. He cleared his throat and put both hands behind his neck, rubbing it like he was trying to relieve a tension headache while looking for an appropriate answer. Lara put a strand of hair behind her ear with a shaking hand. It felt strange to admit out loud that she had died.

"And, hum, is there anything specific I can help you with?" asked Minho after a while.

"I'm decaying," said Lara quietly. "Right now, I need herbs, roots, and flowers for healing potions."

"That's great!" Minho stopped smiling. "Sorry, I didn't mean it's great you're decaying, of course."

"I know. It's fine." She shrugged.

"I can definitely help you with that." He tilted his head slightly. "So, that's why I couldn't smell you like I normally do. You're not completely alive. Maybe that's why you didn't turn to stone."

"I guess," she said.

Lara looked at the sky, squinting in the sun. Although she would have liked to explore Minho's theory so more, she was starting to fear the effects of the temperature on her body.