(𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫) bath water

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

THAT WEEK HAD BEEN TIRING to say the least. By the time Este had reached Thursday, she swore a month could have passed. Everyone was feeling rather down about Edward having to leave. Rosalie was annoyed, masking her upset with stubbornness. Emmett seemed lonelier that usual, he missed his conversations with Edward. Alice was annoyed she couldn't see what was going to happen and Carlisle seemed stressed that he didn't have an easy way to resolve this.

Este had been throwing herself into work more than ever. She stayed until seven every night, long passed when she was supposed to go home. The chattering and gossiping of the teachers was getting on her nerves. They'd all asked why the attendance of her son was suddenly declining. Este had replied it was a private matter and everything had spread from there.

Now she wished she'd told them he had the flu, that his temperature had risen to a surprising amount and that he could barely leave his bed throughout the days. However, considering her standing point as a vampire, illness was never the first thing to come to mind.

Her empty hours were filled with marking work until she didn't have any to look through any more and all the ink of her ballpoint pens had worn thin, the red leaving scratches of pink over lined essays.

She saw Bella every one of those days, sat towards the back of her class. Jessica and Angela were always behind her, whispering gossip about boys and complaints about teachers but Bella never payed much attention. She always seemed sullen, disappointed as though nothing was working out the way she'd hoped it would. Este wondered what she was thinking.

Este didn't resent Bella for sending Edward away. She had no idea what she'd done and even if she had, Bella shouldn't feel guilty about it. She was perfectly innocent. A very sweet girl with no realisation of what she was causing for the Cullen vampires. Este wondered what her reaction would be if she knew exactly why Edward had missed four days of school and counting, Este doubted she'd believe it. She couldn't image she would've.

She was more quiet than usual as she traced around the school. Este felt as though she was losing some of her presence. Students concentration slipped throughout the lessons, their eyes glued to the clock in a lack of subtly. She couldn't blame them, every so often she forgot what she'd been talking about. Her mind had a habit of wandering to her family, to consequence.

Her ethic never vanished. She still handed work back on time. Although, Este couldn't promise that everything she wrote was accurate. Halfway through essays the words would blur as her mind clouded. By the time her mind caught up with her eyes a paragraph had passed and the argument had completely changed. Este would frown, retracting her steps while unsure if she'd ever make it to the end.

Often her eyes would simply gaze out of the window. She wasn't sure why she was wasting so much time sitting in the classroom. Her flowers from Carlisle were wilting slowly, dry rose petals of a faint dusted pink dropping onto her desk. His mind was too full with the complexities of Edward to think of buying Este flowers.