Chapter 1

"...take her and go to the small airship. You can use that to have a safer landing." There was urgency in her voice as the larger aircraft plummeted out of control towards Earth.

Still, her wife remained unmoiving, her greeneyes filled with worry and scepticism as she cradling their infant daughter in hand. She tucked her curly black hair away with a finger before voicing her thoughts. "You know I can't leave you. I can't leave you, Oriane. T-the mate bond... We won't survive that kind of separation and what about you and her?" She looks down at their daughter with tears in her eyes.

Oriane glanced at her daughter too, her chest suddenly compressing in an unfamiliar way. Regardless, she forced a small smile for her wife and reached out to kiss her forehead, and then her nose before finally pressing a kiss against her lips. "I will disconnect from Irelee for now and that will make our separation easier to bear. Protect our daughter, Graciela. Stop at nothing to keep our baby safe until I find you again. Burn this whole planet down if you have to."

Graciela nodded, her green eyes still glossy. "What if you never find us?"

"I will," Oriane assured and she meant it. "No matter how long it takes me, I will—"

"Emma? Emma! Em—"

Emma groaned as she walked across the living room towards the front door with the sound of Harvey's voice echoing in her ear. She was barely listening to him as he ranted on about something he'd told her a million times already. "Sir, I heard you."

"You zoned out... Again. Did you see something else? Was it a memory?"

"Just abother random daydream, I guess."

Harvey thought in silence and Emma enjoyed it. But the silence didn't last for very long before he spoke again. "What's your fascination with the spaceship?"

"I have no fascination with the spaceship," she responded truthfully. "I just— it feels like it's a part of me, you know? Feels important."

"You've never been in a spaceship—"

"I know, sir. You told me." She sighed in exasperation. This was why she didn't like talking about her memories, or lack thereof. Nobody ever wanted to talk about them other than telling her that most of the flashbacks and dreams she had was her daydreaming about events that never happened. Sometimes, she too agreed with them especially after flashbacks where she would teleport herself from one place to another, or hear things clearly from miles away.

Just the thought alone made her ear ring and the sounds around her all suddenly became a little too much to handle. "Can we talk about this later?" She inquired. "Maybe after this mission is over? I would just like to focus on one thing at a time."

"That's wise," Harvey praised. "I'm going to get out of your ear. Em—"

"Do not sleep with your daughter," she finished for him. She hurried to dismiss him, her cool expression unfaltering despite her slight annoyance.

"I'm going to meet her now," she announced quickly. "I'm signing out."

"No! Emma, I'm ser—"

The line went dead, and she sighed. She shoved the phone into the back pocket of her jeans as she exited her own apartment. The hallway was long and narrow, stretching in both directions. However, her destination lay ahead.

Directly across the hall was a door identical to hers, the number 321 hung in gold. Behind that door lived the most important thing to her until Harvey told her otherwise. With a deep breath, she pushed forward, giving herself a pep talk as she went up to the door.