33.

Alex.

Everybody has a worst nightmare. I mean, sure, nightmares are already pretty bad, but there’s always one that is really quite terrible. You hope it never ever becomes a reality and you think if it did, you probably wouldn’t survive it. 

But can you imagine not even knowing your worst nightmare? Or worse, thinking it was something else but then it turns out that that thing is really inconsequential compared to the real thing? 

Can you imagine a situation where your worst nightmare has already become a reality before you realise it’s your worst nightmare?

That’s the exact situation I was in, the exact situation I’d found myself in when I saw my mate’s lifeless body. 

If it was a dream, I needed it to end.

If it was some sort of cruel joke, haha very funny. Please stop.

But it was very real.

I had stood till for a second, in shock, unable to comprehend the scene before me. She had left just a few hours ago, perfectly fine and then...this? I rushed to her body, examining her. I let out the breath I had been holding in when I found that she still had a pulse but a very very weak one.

I looked around at all the dead wolves, I had a pretty good idea what had happened here but it wasn’t time to find out more.

Getting her back to my pack hadn’t been easy. We had laid her on my back vertically, her legs dangling off my sides. The journey back to my pack was very frustrating because I wanted to run as fast as possible to get there quickly but I couldn’t risk her falling off me and getting even more injured.

When we finally arrived at my pack and at the clinic, the doctor wasn’t there. Apparently, he had gone home to have lunch. 

When he finally arrived and I was able to restrain myself from physically harming him, he began work and I was left outside, not having a clue what was going on inside the room. 

My imagination tends to run wild in situations like this and I kept imagining different horrible scenarios. However, what ever the scenario, the conclusion was that this was my fault. 

I shouldn’t have let her leave.

To distract myself, I went to talk to Tim. I actually hadn’t spoken to him once since we brought him out of the bunker so I imagined this would be awkward but I didn’t care, I needed to know what had happened.

Surprisingly, when he saw me, he motioned me closer. A nurse had patched him up and he was in one of the beds resting.

“How is she doing?”

I shook my head, “I don’t know. They have been in there for hours now.”

“Anaya is a fighter, she’ll be okay.”

I wished I had his faith. 

“What happened? How did all this happen?”

“We were attacked by rogues. They wanted Anaya’s bracelet, she didn’t want to give them so, they tried to take it by force. We fought, killed all of them too. But we didn’t account for one. It was that one that did that to Anaya.”

“So he’s alive? He got away?”

He nodded and I growled. That wolf was a dead man walking. I was going to track him down and end his miserable life in the most painful way possible.

“Alpha, you know, I just want you to know that I have no hard feelings about the whole bunker thing. I don’t know why my sister is so mad. I just wanted you to know that.”

I nodded, swallowing hard, “Call me Alex.”

The doctor approached us and my heart started beating rapidly again.

“Well?”

“I have done the best I can for her. She’s alive but in a very unstable condition, Alpha. Her injuries are quite extensive and she has lost a lot of blood. The only reason she didn’t die on the spot or on the way over here was her royal blood. It’s the only thing that has kept her alive and it’s the only thing that can save her life. I had to induce a coma because the pain of her injuries would be unbearable if she were to wake up.”

Shit.

“Can I see her?” I asked and he nodded. 

I had gotten a separate room prepared for her and that’s where she had been put in. She lay on the bed, looking quite bad but at least better that she had been in the forest. 

The nasty wound on her neck had been bandaged up and all the blood had been gotten off her. If you ignored all the machines and the tubes and wires connected to her, she looked peaceful. 

The side of her neck that had been bitten was the side that had my mark so I guessed she would be happy about that. Something good came out of this. 

But I would have loved to have that connection to her at a time like this. At this time when my mate is tottering on the very thin line between life and death. 

There were still some little splatters of blood on her forehead so I cleaned that up before leaving. 

Tim couldn’t go to see her because he wasn’t allowed to put weight on his leg yet so I went to give him an update. I had practically nothing to tell him. At least she was breathing even though it was with the help of tubes. 

That didn’t bring him down though and I wondered how it was that he could remain so hopeful.

It was night when I left the clinic, mind-linking Kyan and Luke on my way out.

It was time to hunt down the fool who thought he could do this to my mate and get away with it.