Chapter 5

This is one of the rare occasions that I am doing something other than swimming and studying. I am at the party the swim team was talking about and I desperately need a drink.

Like right now.

I don't know how much more I can hear Tasha, Sophie, Ben, and Dany drone on about swimming. I came here to get away from that, to get a break. It is when they start to talk about how Oliver and how he will 'definitely' bring our university the gold this season that I decide to take my leave and go find a drink.

The kitchen is easy to find. There are a lot of alcohol choices and no one is there, perfect. So the most important question of tonight: what is my poison? Tequila or vodka? Eh, why not a bit of both?

My future self is going to hate me.

"Why are you drinking tonight?" A deep voice says startling me.

I spin around to find Oliver leaning against the kitchen door frame. He has a drink in hand and looks relaxed, more than usual. I wonder how much he has had to drink?

"Huh?"

"You drinking to have fun or forget?"

I ponder for a moment before speaking, "Bit of both."

He nods thoughtfully, then he takes a big gulp of whatever is in his red cup. He grimaces slightly at the taste. I am quite shocked to see him drinking.

Because I have never seen Oliver Fowler drink before.

We have been to a lot of the same parties and he always politely declines drink offers, preferring to be sober. He is probably one of those people who is all about only putting good stuff into your body. About treating your body as a temple and shit.

But he is drinking tonight. And that makes me curious.

"Why are you drinking?"

He looks slightly embarrassed, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'm actually drinking for neither of those reasons..."

I tilt my head to the side, confused.

He looks down at the cup in his hand. "I'm drinking for some, confidence"

That makes me raise my eyebrows. When has Oliver Fowler ever needed confidence? The guy has too much of it if I say so myself.

He sees my expression and gives me a sheepish grin. "I trying to gain the confidence to tell the person I like, that I like them..."

"Oh," I say, but it is distant to my own ears. I never knew Oliver liked someone. I have never thought too long about it to be honest, I mean the guy is never romantically involved with anyone. I just kind of assumed he liked being by himself. Or that he was asexual.

But that doesn't seem like the case, because he does like someone...

I don't know why but I feel weird about it. I feel even more weird about feeling weird.

Weird.

"When have you ever needed confidence?" I ask cautiously, unsure of why he needs it because there is no way this person will turn him down. They couldn't possibly, It's Oliver for god sake, the university's pride and joy. It is hard to find a flaw in the guy. The majority of university students admire him and have a crush on him. I mean I can't even count the number of people that flirted with him tonight. Or just blatantly stare at him with a dreamy longing look in their eyes.

He bites his lip, almost nervously. "Well, the person I like isn't the most... approachable"

I turn back to my drink, my back facing him. "Well I'm sure they like you just as much if not more, so just go up to them and shoot your shot" I grumble, glaring at my cup. I rub my jaw, I can't believe I am helping the guy I hate most right now. It must be the alcohol because I am never voluntary this nice. Sober me would never be so nice to him.

I hear him step closer. "Shoot my shot aye?" He sounds amused.

"Yeah, you know? Like go up to them and tell them you like them or kiss them or something"

He hums thoughtfully. "I would like to kiss them, a lot. But I'm not too sure if they would like that..."

Now I'm confused.

Cause I'm pretty certain nearly everyone at this party would have a heart attack if he kissed them. A hard attack in a good way (if that's possible). The guy is gorgeous, you would have to be blind to not find him attractive.

I turn to him to find him much closer than before but I don't pay much attention to it.

"Who the fuck do you like?" I say bluntly because I'm curious. Who is this person that has caught Oliver Fowler's attention? I was adamant about the guy being asexual with the amount of women that have tried to get in his pants.

"He's-"

"He's a he?" I interrupt eyebrows nearly through the roof. "Your... gay?"

Not that I have anything against being gay, I am just surprised. Oliver is like the poster guy for straight white college guys. I know that is presumptuous of me, but can you really blame me? Because when you look at Oliver and see how he acts I get straight vibes. Or maybe my radar is just really off.

His response is delayed, "I don't know. I have always liked women, but I think I'm gay too... just for him." He quickly adds. "I think he made me... gay," he says, a light pink dusting his cheeks.

Wow.

My mind is blown. Like exploded into millions of pieces and unable to function properly anymore.

I am nonplussed. Speechless.

Oliver is eyeing me carefully like he is absorbing my reaction cautiously.

Oliver must really like this guy.

He moves closer. "I think I'm gonna shoot my shot now"

Suddenly mad. "Fine. Go shoot your fucking shot."

He steps a step closer grinning his annoying stupid smirk. "I will"

"Good. I'll get out of your way then" I say stepping out of his way and start towards the door.

I don't get very far, because I am shoved right back into the wall.