ARCANE : The Generational Phenomenon

Arcane is one of the most recently released animated series, and to say this show is nothing short of outstanding is an understatement. Not only that, but Arcane is a generational phenomenon featuring everything we've wanted to see on TV for decades.

Arcane features a variety of characters. All of them different, unique, well built, full of archs, and are either essential to the plot or just well written. The characters are what elevate this show from good to GREAT. The world building in Arcane is perfection. Every piece placed onto the screen is essential for the viewer and it's nothing but a joy to take it. This type of fantasy world in storytelling hasn't been seen in 15 years, and Arcane to me is the next generations Avatar: The Last Airbender, but this time it's not limited to kids television. We get to see this story fleshed out without any filters.

It goes down to the writing and source material. Based on the League of Legends video game, we see that this story is not like any other to date. It has been transcribed to the TV screen with such love and care that even the discrepancies between the original video game and the TV show are completely accepted because of how well the differences were placed. Each change enhanced the story and characters creating nothing but love from every group of people who sit down to watch it.

The characters who make up the show have such a variety and if it was just five years prior, certain elements of the show wouldn't have been added, and it is these elements that make it so distinct. The leading characters are primarily women, and although this could have been successful in the past, it is also the lack of labels in Arcane that make it a wonder to view. You see such interesting characters that you wouldn't necessarily see on the street everyday, and although we are promted to label them, Arcane refuses to do so, and that is what makes it so beautiful. Arcane gives us these characters as they are. This is Vi, Jinx, and Caitlyn. Whatever labels in this world we would have given them have no weight in their world. The refusal to do so forces the viewers to take in the characters as they are, and in turn the audience gains an appreciation for everyone we see on screen despite their sexual orientation, race, and gender. It's a celebration of realistic storytelling through fantasy which is nearly impossible to pull off, but Arcane has mastered it down to the bone.

Arcane proves that no matter the label, everyone is capable of greatness through sorrow and beauty. It is what everyone wants to see in a show and we get exactly that, but at the same time Arcane balances the wants of the audience with the need for direction and the essential outcomes it must come to in the conclusion. Even without the brilliance of the character building, the story is one so clear and meticulously placed outside of that aspect, and it surpasses all other animation and elevates to another level just as Avatar: The Last Airbender did 15 years ago, and just like Avatar, I believe in 15 years this show will still be remembered by many.

Arcane has carved its way into pop culture and as time passes it will be a classic to remember. It's a tragedy that comments on the separation of lower and upper class in society. It shows the segregation of those with less power and displays a wonderful conclusion on how to change a system which disregards the weak and powerless. It is a reflection of everything wrong in our world and our lives but gives us an idea on how to correct our paths. Not only this, it's a story of sisterhood and family. A story of heartbreak and hardship. It exhibits the mental decline of an individual and the inexcusable side effects of tyranny, war, bloodshed, and violence. It leaves us in tears and in awe.

Arcane, I applaud you.