Chapter 11: Betrayal

Kelsey.

Kelsey.

"Kelsey! Wake up, sleepyhead!"

Groggily, I open my eyes to see Haile trying to wake me up. Daphne, noticing I was finally awake, chimed in.

"Hey, sunshine! Did ya sleep well?" She rang with sarcasm.

With a laugh, I pushed myself into a sitting position. The sudden movement resulted in a wave of muscle tension. I winced from the pain. Haile and Daphne's faces quickly faded from smiles to worry. It was as if time stood still and they were waiting for me to suddenly combust.

"I'm fine, guys. Just a little sore. Chill out."

This seemed to relax them a little, however, the tension was still tangible.

"You slept through our daily alarm" Haile mentioned with a giggle. "You were sleeping hard!"

"Yea, maybe I should get beat up some time so I can sleep that good!" Daphne teased.

Everyone went silent, and I could tell Daphne regretted it. I didn't mind much, though. She meant well.

"Funny, Daph," I remarked, rolling my eyes in an attempt to lighten the mood.

Haile and Daph left shortly after to change into their clothes. I put up my sheet and changed into my training outfit. We all walked out around the same time. I kept my head down, unsure what today would bring.

After the morning attendance was taken into account, Shane escorted us to the burial ground once more. I remembered yesterday's events and tried to keep myself calm.

I can do this.

There, waiting for us, were Elder Tham, Cliff, and Lila.

"Everyone line up!" Shane shouted.

Once in line, Shane started to announce what we would be doing today.

"Today, you all will be assigned partners. Sparring partners. You are to fight underwater as an exercise of what it may be like if you are left stranded with no weapon and come face to face with one of those creatures. As someone who has seen one before, be aware of their anatomy; their nails are long and sharp, they are great swimmers, and they go for the kill. As you fight today, stay away from their hands or keep them occupied. In a real fight, that could mean life or death. The only way you can survive hand-to-hand combat with one of them is to go for the neck. Today, you will be going for a chokehold or a firm hold on your partner's head. You will not hurt them beyond recovery or to the point of drowning. Doing this will earn major repercussions. Am I understood?"

A chorus of 'yes' flooded out. Shane spared a glance of pity towards me.

"Good. I will now announce your pairs. Since there are an odd number of you, Lila will be your partner, Haile." He declared, gesturing at the woman from the night before. "Gabriel and Daphne, you two will also be partners."

No.

No. No. No.

That leaves only two more people.

Me and...

"Damian and Kelsey will be the last pair."

I looked over at my partner only to meet his mocking glare.

He can't hurt you too badly, Kels. Not without repercussions...

I shook my head to focus on Haile, who was entering the water alongside Lila. I knew she was strong, but I knew Lila had been in this longer. If she didn't hold back, Haile could get badly injured. I watched nervously as Haile fell beneath the ocean's surface. Everyone edged closer to see the interaction as they squared off. They didn't have too much time to waste, seeing as they wore no scuba gear.